Subject: Focus on Fam. Idaho Attack
From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 1994 23:50:08 -0400

**Begin Editorial**

BOISE BEAR says, consider how you would feel if the following
letter from James Dobson, leader of the radical right group
Focus on the Family, sent this to people in your state.  Focus has
joined with Lon Mabon's Idaho Citizens Alliance (OCA) for
a full-fledge attack.

People, stop this thing in Idaho before it spreads across the
country.  It is terrible.  Read this letter carefully.  Focus has
a $97 million-dollar-a-year budget and they have publicly stated
the elimination of Gay Rights in America is their number one goal.

It was mailed on Focus letterhead from Colorado Springs, CO
to all Idahoans on their mailing list (including me)
and my guess is that it went to everyone on the Idaho Citizens
Alliance and Idaho Christian Coalition mailing lists too.

>>This is so full of clever lies and deceptions that I am anxious to
>>see your analysis.  This is what we are working against.

**End Editorial**

=============================================
=============================================
=============================================
FOCUS ON THE FAMILY

Dear Friends,

I trust that you have survived the summer and have managed the
transition into a busy fall schedule of activities.  It is not my desire
to burden you with one additional thing to do, but I would like to
pass along some encouraging news about an important development
in Idaho.

Focus on the Family believes that, as individuals, homosexuals
are entitled to the same basic rights as every other citizen, and we
strongly oppose any form of persecution, harrassment or violence
against them.  However, there are substantial reasons for opposing
current attempts to grant special legal privileges to gays, lesbians,
and bisexuals that are not enjoyed by heterosexuals.  In light of
this, we believe that it is important for those of you living in Idaho to
become aware of and support Proposition One, the Stop Special
Rights Initiative.

Whenever Christians consider potential legislation which touches upon
the private lieves of individuals, it is extremely important that two
questions be kept in mind.  First, is the legislation necessary for
the maintenance of a just social order?  Second, does the legislation
protect people from being constitutionally disadvantaged?  Proposition
One passes both tests.  It recognizes and protects the basic
constitutional rights of all Idahoans, including those who have chosen
to participate in homosexual behavior.

In summary, the Initiative:
*  guaranttes every citizen their full constitutional rights without
    granting special rights to homosexuals
*   prohibits marriage of homosexuals
*  prohibits the positive presentation of homosexuality within
    public elemtary and secondary education
*  prohibits the expenditure of public funds to promote homosexuality
*  prohibts the State of Idaho from considering private sexual
   behavior as a basis for penalizing any employee

Proposition One does not, by any means, promote or condone any
form of harrassment or violence against homosexuals who maintain
their equal protection under the laws of Idaho and the United States.
Idaho law currently recognizes the right of the citizens of Idaho to
judge sodomy and other "crimes against nature" to be worthy of
criminal sanctions.

For the citizens of Idaho who desire to see homosexuals dealt
with fairly and compassionately, but who also do not approve of
homosexual behavior, nor want the state to enact legislation or
policies which do just that, this Initiative provides the appropriate
safeguards and prohibitions.  For those who are concerned that
it may not pass constitutional muster, the Initiative Review Commitee
(consisting of active members of the Idaho State Bar) has sub-
mitted it to thorough analysis, and determined that the provisions
included in the Initiative are constitutional under both the federal and
state constitutions.  These legal professionals were brought together
by the Idaho Family Forum, in whom we have great trust.

Proposition One allows citizens to decide the legal implications of
homosexuality based on moral consensus, a right guaranteed by
the constitutions of both the United States and Idaho.  It safeguards
the rights of parents to teach their children about homosexuality,
factually and morally, and to elect school boards which will reflect
their basic constitutional rights, including equal protection under the law,
the right for redress of grievances, and the right of free speech within
the limits already recognized by the United States Supreme Court.

Given its fairness and constitutionality; given its pro-family intent in
protectin the rights of parents to be the moral nurturers of their
children; and given the pro-homosexual movement's threat to Idaho's
social welfare, Focus on the Family urges voters to support Proposition
One, the Stop Special Rights Initiative.  It is fair.  It is just.  And it
is needed now.

Thank you for letting me share these few thoughts on this important
piece of legislation.  Together, we can work to defend the priceless
heritage of our fragile freedoms.  Keep us in your prayers, won't you?
God's peace and joy to you and your household.

Sincerely,
James C. Dobson, Ph.D.
President

P.S. For a complimentary voter's guide containing more information on
this and other ballot issues, please call the Idaho Family Forum at
(208) 344-9009.

JCD/mp
=================================================
=================================================
Submitted by [email-masked]

To help Idaho defeat these folks, contact:  No On One Coalition,
PO Box 797, Boise, ID 83701 (208) 376-1599 voice (208)
376-1699 fax.  No On One now accepts VISA and MC donations.
=================================================