Subject: HAWAII MAY 29
From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 29 May 96 10:29:46 HST

STATE DEMOCRATIC PARTY CONVENTION REPLACES
			ROSEHILL WITH AGBAYANI

	This weekend, Hawaii's State Democratic Convention, acted in
favor of same-gender marriage:

        1)  They replaced Democratic National Committeewoman Linda
	    Rosehill with Amy Agbayani.  Rosehill is a paid lobbyist
	    for Hawaii's Future Today, a leading anti-same-gender
	    marriage group.  Amy Agbayani was a member of the first
	    Commission on Sexual Orientation and the Law, is presently
	    on Hawaii's Civil Rights Commission, and supports same-gender
	    marriage.  What angered most delegates were ads by
	    Hawaii's Future Today against 15 state senators who, in
	    Amy's words, voted their consciences when they voted against
	    a constitutional amendment to ban same gender marriage.

	2)  The convention passed a resolution calling on the legislature
	    to live the same-gender marriage issue to the courts.  This
	    has been h.e.r.m.p's position since 1993.

	3)  The platform calls for non-discrimination on sexual orientation
	    and suggests that constitutional amendments should protect
	    civil rights.

The margins in favor of these measures were large.  Today, Hawaii's 
Republican Party attacked the Democrats as being out-of-touch with the
average person.

	h.e.r.m.p supporters have formed a new organization, Friends
of h.e.r.m.p, to advocate for same gender marriage.  It is non-profit
but not tax-deductible due to its political focus (primarily responding
to religious political extremists in the media).  Friends of h.e.r.m.p
will launch nation-wide a 900-number for donations between $5 and $25 on
June 1 (this Saturday):  1-900-97-MARRY.  Donations to that number would
be charged on phone bills.  Friends of h.e.r.m.p's mailing address is
PO BOX 11690, Honolulu, HI 96828, for contact by U.S. mail. 

						Best Regards,

						Tom Ramsey

Web sites for HERMP information:
http://www.xq.com/hermp/
http://www.qrd.org/qrd/orgs/hermp/
http://www.tnight.com/hermp/
http://www.qrd.org/qrd/usa/hawaii/marriage.update/
The latter is provided by a BBS, which also provides BBS access
to HERMP messages: Tropical Night BBS (808) 235-5558
telnet:bbs.tnight.com

For the official report of the Commission on Sexual Orientation and
the Law:
http://www.hawaii.gov/lrb/solcvr.html

For legal documents related to Baehr v. Lewin (now Baehr v. Miike):
http://www.qrd.org/qrd/www/legal/
which has a link to marriage and Baehr v. Lewin
 
For national as well as Hawaii information:
http://nether.net/~rod/html/sub/marriage.html
http://www.well.com/user/davadam/hermp.html
http://www.eskimo.com/~demian/partners.html

      The Hawaii Equal Rights Marriage Project, HERMP, is the sole support
of the work of Dan Foley on Baehr v. Lewin (Foley is the attorney who makes
all court appearances on behalf of the plaintiff couples).  Please be generous
in support of HERMP; Hawaii is a small state, and the tiny gay and lesbian
community here is very active in advocacy work which HERMP cannot address.
Donations to HERMP are fully tax-deductible, and should be made out to
                     GLCC-HERMP
                     1521 Alexander Street, #503
                     Honolulu, HI 96822.
 
      The HERMP branch in Kona, on the Big Island, has produced a T-shirt
for sale.  One can send a check for $17.50 to HERMP, P.O.Box 902, Captain
Cook, HI 96704, together with a note about being sent a T-shirt (S, M, L,
XL, XXL).  It is also available in a tank top.  The design is multi-color
on white.  A large triangle points down, with the letters h.e.r.m.p above
the triangle, some male-male, female-female symbols in the border of the
triangle and some palm trees.  To place an email order for T-shirts, or
to obtain more information, please email [email-masked].  An image of
the T-shirt is available via the WEB on
       http://www.qrd.org/QRD/www/usa/maine/hawaii-tee.html