Subject: HAWAII MAY 23
From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 23 May 96 10:40:59 HST

STATE DEMOCRATIC PARTY CONVENTION TRIES TO KEEP
		     SAME-GENDER MARRIAGE FROM DOMINATING IT

	Having watched the 1996 Legislature fight to the deadlines over
same gender marriage, democratic party leaders are trying to keep the
marriage a low key item at the party convention this weekend (May 24-26).
However, the media won't let them.

	Amy Agbayani is running against Linda Rosehill for national committee-
woman.  Amy served on the 1994-1995 Commission on Sexual Orientation and
the Law, and is a member of Hawaii's Civil Rights Commission.  Amy supports
same gender marriage.  Linda Rosehill is a paid lobbyist of Hawaii's Future
Today, the lead organization fighting same gender marriage this year (lead
by Mormon leader Jack Hoag, Roman Catholic theologian Mark Alexander, and
former School Board member Debbie Hartman).  The media is portraying this
election race as a referendum within the party on same gender marriage.
So, of course, it becomes one!

	It's hard to do justice to the competing cross-currents, but another
election race might illustrate the adage that all politics is local.  Senator
Donna Ikeda is being challenged by a leader of the small business community.
Ikeda is now a Democrat, but was once a Republican.  Generally, she's 
conservative:  she voted for the constitutional amendment to ban same gender
marriage (it lost, 15 to 10 in the Senate; she was one of the 10).  She is
also an executive for an insurance company, and somehow sees no conflict
of interest there when voting on insurance issues.  And insurance is a big
issue in Hawaii:  rates for all kinds of insurance, except medical, are
well above national standards and are clearly damaging small business.  Hence
this conservative, woman senator is being challenged by an advocate of
small business (who will run as a Republican).  Ikeda may also be challenged
within her own Democratic party, for some of the same reasons and for some
opposite reasons!

	In the meantime, the pre-trial maneuvering in Baehr v. Miike is
in full-swing.  The state has listed its witnesses which it plans to call,
and h.e.r.m.p with LLDEF will be deposing them soon.  The Deputy AG on
the case, opposing h.e.r.m.p, is putting in 70 hours a week on it:  he
plans to win.  The trial date is now set for Sept. 10, and seems firm
(how many times have I said that before!).

						Best Regards,

						Tom Ramsey
						(finished with final exams!)

Web sites for HERMP information:
http://www.xq.com/hermp/
http://www.qrd.org/qrd/orgs/hermp/
http://www.tnight.com/hermp/
http://www.qrd.org/qrd/usa/hawaii/marriage.update/
The latter is provided by a BBS, which also provides BBS access
to HERMP messages: Tropical Night BBS (808) 235-5558
telnet:bbs.tnight.com

For the official report of the Commission on Sexual Orientation and
the Law:
http://www.hawaii.gov/lrb/solcvr.html

For legal documents related to Baehr v. Lewin (now Baehr v. Miike):
http://www.qrd.org/qrd/www/legal/
which has a link to marriage and Baehr v. Lewin
 
For national as well as Hawaii information:
http://nether.net/~rod/html/sub/marriage.html
http://www.well.com/user/davadam/hermp.html
http://www.eskimo.com/~demian/partners.html

      The Hawaii Equal Rights Marriage Project, HERMP, is the sole support
of the work of Dan Foley on Baehr v. Lewin (Foley is the attorney who makes
all court appearances on behalf of the plaintiff couples).  Please be generous
in support of HERMP; Hawaii is a small state, and the tiny gay and lesbian
community here is very active in advocacy work which HERMP cannot address.
Donations to HERMP are fully tax-deductible, and should be made out to
                     GLCC-HERMP
                     1521 Alexander Street, #503
                     Honolulu, HI 96822.
 
      The HERMP branch in Kona, on the Big Island, has produced a T-shirt
for sale.  One can send a check for $17.50 to HERMP, P.O.Box 902, Captain
Cook, HI 96704, together with a note about being sent a T-shirt (S, M, L,
XL, XXL).  It is also available in a tank top.  The design is multi-color
on white.  A large triangle points down, with the letters h.e.r.m.p above
the triangle, some male-male, female-female symbols in the border of the
triangle and some palm trees.  To place an email order for T-shirts, or
to obtain more information, please email [email-masked].  An image of
the T-shirt is available via the WEB on
       http://www.qrd.org/QRD/www/usa/maine/hawaii-tee.html