Subject: HAWAII MARCH 12
From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 96 08:32:15 HST

COURT REBUFFS 8 LEGISLATORS

	Judge Kevin Chang denied the request of 8 legislators to intervene
in the court case Baehr v. Miike (scheduled for circuit court hearing
of compelling state interests on August 1).  The 8 legislators will appeal
Judge Chang's ruling to the Hawaii Supreme Court.  This is essentially
a replay of the Mormon motions filed last year, by much the same legal team
but with new plaintiffs.  Added to the opposing side is Jay Seculo,
attorney with Randall Terry and ACLJ (Pat Robertson's legal think tank),
and tons of cameras.  The RRR is filming the proceedings for national 
fundraising efforts.

	Crossover date in the legislature finally came and went.  The
House and the Senate remain opposed, one pushing domestic partnership and
one pushing a constitutional amendment to ban same-gender marriage.
The next cross-over hurdle is about 5 weeks away.  The RRR is turning
up the heat on the legislature, by broadcasting on Honolulu's top radio
stations; their advertisements call on legislators to pass the constitutional
amendment to ban same-gender marriage.  HERMP volunteers are countering
with constituent pressure.  It's the Goliath RRR versus the David hermp;
we have logic, common sense and charity on our side, they have fear, prejudice
and discrimination on theirs.  To say the least, it's an interesting
contest.

	Please ignore whatever Tom Coleman says about the legislature in
Hawaii;  he has never consulted h.e.r.m.p or Dan Foley on anything at anytime.
h.e.r.m.p supports domestic partnerships as a (limited) good thing in
themselves and has so testified repeatedly; our strategy may result
in getting both DP and marriage---but we will never trade marriage for DP.

					Tom Ramsey
					Co-Coordinator
					Hawaii Equal Rights Marriage
					Project

P.S.  Web sites for HERMP information:
http://www.xq.com/hermp/
http://www.tnight.com/hermp/

For the official report of the Commission on Sexual Orientation and
the Law:
http://www.hawaii.gov/lrb/solcvr.html

For national as well as Hawaii information:
http://nether.net/~rod/html/sub/marriage.html
http://www.well.com/user/davadam/hermp.html

      The Hawaii Equal Rights Marriage Project, HERMP, is the sole support
of the work of Dan Foley on Baehr v. Lewin (Foley is the attorney who makes
all court appearances on behalf of the plaintiff couples).  Please be generous
in support of HERMP; Hawaii is a small state, and the tiny gay and lesbian
community here is very active in advocacy work which HERMP cannot address.
Donations to HERMP are fully tax-deductible, and should be made out to
                     GLCC-HERMP
                     1521 Alexander Street, #503
                     Honolulu, HI 96822.
 
      The HERMP branch in Kona, on the Big Island, has produced a T-shirt
for sale.  One can send a check for $17.50 to HERMP, P.O.Box 902, Captain
Cook, HI 96704, together with a note about being sent a T-shirt (S, M, L,
XL, XXL).  It is also available in a tank top.  The design is multi-color
on white.  A large triangle points down, with the letters h.e.r.m.p above
the triangle, some male-male, female-female symbols in the border of the
triangle and some palm trees.  To place an email order for T-shirts, or
to obtain more information, please email [email-masked].  An image of
the T-shirt is available via the WEB on
       http://www.qrd.org/QRD/www/usa/maine/hawaii-tee.html