Subject: HAWAII FEB 21
From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 96 13:18:46 HST

SENATOR GRAULTY WILL HEAR TESTIMONY ON
			THREE BILLS ON FEB. 22

	Tomorrow, Thursday, the Hawaii Senate Committee on the Judiciary
will hear testimony on three bills.  One would create same-gender marriage
by legislative act, one would amend Hawaii's constitution to define marriage
as heterosexual only, and one would create domestic partnership.  Hawaii
residents should send testimony; mainland testimony has limited or even
negative value.

	The DP bill is an amended version of the DP bill suggested by the
Commission on Sexual Orientation and the Law last December.  The changes
are controversial:  DP is limited to same-gender couples; a one-year
residency is required; the DP bill is null and void if same-gender couples
win marriage from the courts; marriage (even among heterosexuals) does
not automatically grant custody/adoption rights (which is no change from
current practice---so why is it being said?); and a preamble extolls the
biological family over other families.  I hesitate to write much about these
changes, because their status with the legislators change daily.  So,
don't take them too seriously but expect something like them to survive.

	The President of the Mormon Church finished his visit to Hawaii
with a photograph in the newspapers of his meeting with the Roman Catholic
Bishop DiLorenzo.  With President Gordon B. Hinckley were Richard G. Scott
(of the Mormon's Council of Twelve Apostles) and Lorin C. Dunn (president
of the western area of the LDS).  [source:  Honolulu Star-Bulletin, Feb.
20, page A-3]

	In the meantime, the founder of Operation Rescue Randall Terry is
still planning to visit Hawaii Feb. 28 and distribute videos of the gay
agenda to all legislators.  On his radio show he's asking for prayers for
his visit (with 12 other religious leaders) and for $100 donations to given
10 videos to legislators and law enforcement officers in Hawaii.  Terry
is bringing 12 leaders with him; among them are supposed to be Bill Shanks
of New Orleans and Bill Horne (ironically, creator of the anti-Mormon
video "The Godmakers").

					Tom Ramsey
					Co-Coordinator
					Hawaii Equal Rights Marriage
					Project

P.S.  The Hawaii Equal Rights Marriage Project, HERMP, is the sole support
of the work of Dan Foley on Baehr v. Lewin (Foley is the attorney who makes
all court appearances on behalf of the plaintiff couples).  Please be generous
in support of HERMP; Hawaii is a small state, and the tiny gay and lesbian
community here is very active in advocacy work which HERMP cannot address.
Donations to HERMP are fully tax-deductible, and should be made out to
                     GLCC-HERMP 
                     1521 Alexander Street, #503
                     Honolulu, HI 96822.
 
      The HERMP branch in Kona, on the Big Island, has produced a T-shirt
for sale.  One can send a check for $17.50 to HERMP, P.O.Box 902, Captain
Cook, HI 96704, together with a note about being sent a T-shirt (S, M, L,
XL, XXL).  It is also available in a tank top.  The design is multi-color
on white.  A large triangle points down, with the letters h.e.r.m.p above
the triangle, some male-male, female-female symbols in the border of the
triangle and some palm trees.  To place an email order for T-shirts, or
to obtain more information, please email [email-masked].  An image of
the T-shirt is available via the WEB on
       http://www.qrd.org/QRD/www/usa/maine/hawaii-tee.html