Subject: HAWAII FEB 20
From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 96 17:51:30 HST

PRESIDENT OF THE MORMON CHURCH VISITS
                         FOLLOWERS IN HAWAII	

The Honolulu Star-Bulletin reported on Monday, Feb. 21, that the President
of the Mormon Church visited the Mormon temple in Hawaii (in Laie, on the
north shore of Oahu, next to the popular Mormon-run tourist attraction
called the Polynesian Cultural Center).  The Mormon President told a meeting
of 20,000 people that they were enough to stop unwanted social change in
Hawaii (i.e., same-gender marriage).  The Advertiser also reported that
the Mormon President will meet privately with Bishop DiLorenzo, the Roman
Catholic bishop of Hawaii, to coordinate opposition to same-gender marriage.

					Tom Ramsey
					Co-Coordinator
					Hawaii Equal Rights Marriage
					Project

P.S.  The Hawaii Equal Rights Marriage Project, HERMP, is the sole support
of the work of Dan Foley on Baehr v. Lewin (Foley is the attorney who makes
all court appearances on behalf of the plaintiff couples).  Please be generous
in support of HERMP; Hawaii is a small state, and the tiny gay and lesbian
community here is very active in advocacy work which HERMP cannot address.
Donations to HERMP are fully tax-deductible, and should be made out to
                     GLCC-HERMP 
                     1521 Alexander Street, #503
                     Honolulu, HI 96822.
 
      The HERMP branch in Kona, on the Big Island, has produced a T-shirt
for sale.  One can send a check for $17.50 to HERMP, P.O.Box 902, Captain
Cook, HI 96704, together with a note about being sent a T-shirt (S, M, L,
XL, XXL).  It is also available in a tank top.  The design is multi-color
on white.  A large triangle points down, with the letters h.e.r.m.p above
the triangle, some male-male, female-female symbols in the border of the
triangle and some palm trees.  To place an email order for T-shirts, or
to obtain more information, please email [email-masked].  An image of
the T-shirt is available via the WEB on
       http://www.qrd.org/QRD/www/usa/maine/hawaii-tee.html