Subject: HAWAII, FEB. 9
From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 96 07:45:44 HST

THE (NOT SO) GREAT DP DEBATE

	Yesterday, Father Mark Alexander (official theologian of the
Roman Catholic Diocese of Hawaii) attacked Sen. Graulty's domestic partnership
ideas as just marriage under another name.  Of course, Father Alexander is
factually incorrect.  There are major differences between domestic partnerships
and marriage, and Senator Graulty has amended earlier DP proposals to make
the differences greater.  Among heterosexuals, domestic partnerships are
sometimes preferred to marriage for a variety of personal reasons---the
key point is that heterosexuals sometimes choose between two DIFFERENT things.
Sigh!

	Earlier in the week, Senator Graulty urged the House to reconsider
DP's, because he felt that the testimony of Jon Van Dyke, et al, on last
Friday had not been fully considered by the House.  Terrance Tom, head of
the House Judiciary Committee, assured the public that the House had fully
considered all the evidence when voting down a domestic partnership bill
in the House Judiciary Committee (thus keeping the bill from being
voted upon by the full House).

	In the meantime, the fight in the Hawaii courts to obtain full marriage
rights continue.  The usual pre-trial skirmishing is going on.  For reasons
of  the judge's schedule, the July trial date has been moved to August 1
but Judge Chang has asked that most documents be in his hands July 1.
The state is ready for trial; we don't expect any more requests for delay
from the state.  The compelling state interests to be proposed against
same gender marriage could be that biological parents are the ideal
environment for raising children.

	Randal Terry, a fundamentalist radio personality and founder
of Operation Rescue, is targeting Hawaii leaders in his mainland radio
broadcasts.  He's said on the air that he's coming to Hawaii on Feb. 28
with Bill Horne.  Horne has produced the scurrilous anti-Mormon video
"The Godmakers", the even worse "Gay Agenda" and apparently has a new
anti-gay film "The Ultimate Target of the Gay Agenda:  Same-Sex Marriage."
Terry and Horne plan to inundate the country (including Hawaii legislators)
with this latest film.  They have broadcast their 800 number, 1-800-323-LIVE,
to raise money to distribute this new video.  Please call their 800 number,
and politely engage Randal Terry's people in courteous dialogue on how
same-gender marriage CELEBRATES traditional values of love, care, and
commitment.

					Tom Ramsey
					Co-Coordinator
					Hawaii Equal Rights Marriage
					Project

P.S.  The Hawaii Equal Rights Marriage Project, HERMP, is the sole support
of the work of Dan Foley on Baehr v. Lewin (Foley is the attorney who makes
all court appearances on behalf of the plaintiff couples).  Please be generous
in support of HERMP; Hawaii is a small state, and the tiny gay and lesbian
community here is very active in advocacy work which HERMP cannot address.
Donations to HERMP are fully tax-deductible, and should be made out to
GLCC-HERMP, 1521 Alexander Street, #503 , Honolulu, HI 96822.
 
      The HERMP branch in Kona, on the Big Island, has produced a T-shirt
for sale.  One can send a check for $17.50 to HERMP, P.O.Box 902, Captain
Cook, HI 96704, together with a note about being sent a T-shirt (S, M, L,
XL, XXL).  It is also available in a tank top.  The design is multi-color
on white.  A large triangle points down, with the letters h.e.r.m.p above
the triangle, some male-male, female-female symbols in the border of the
triangle and some palm trees.  To place an email order for T-shirts, or
to obtain more information, please email [email-masked].  An image of
the T-shirt is available via the WEB on
       http://www.qrd.org/QRD/www/usa/maine/hawaii-tee.html