Subject: HAWAII, JAN. 25
From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 96 09:00:32 HST

ROSEHILL STEPS DOWN FROM
		      ROLE IN THE CLINTON CAMPAIGN	

	Linda Rosehill, one of Hawaii's 4 national Democratic Party
committee members, resigned from her leadership role in the Hawaii
Clinton-Gore campaign.  On TV last night she said that she thought
that the Democratic Party was supposed to be a big tent, and that
her lobbying against same-gender marriage and domestic partnership
was consistent with the views of many elected Democratic officials.
[Rosehill is a paid lobbyist, largely funded by the Mormons, and
a leader behind the new anti-gay grass roots organization "Hawaii's
Future Today".]

	However, Lt. Gov. Mazie Hirono campaigned for election as
supporting same-gender marriage without qualification.  And Gov. Ben
Cayetano campaigned for election as supporting full equality between
opposite sex and same sex couples [Cayetano's ideas are not as simple
as marriage; he wants everyone, gay and straight, to have domestic
partnerships in the law, and to leave the word "marriage" to the churches].

	After the House Judiciary Committee soundly defeated domestic
partnerships on Tuesday, Senator Rey Graulty, chair of the Senate
Judiciary Committee, was on TV last night saying that the Senate was going
to work on a version of domestic partnership anyway---to be ready if the
House should have a change of heart.  The Senate Judiciary Committee
hearings will be Saturday, Jan. 27 (9 am, basement of the State Capitol).

	Finally, the State Democratic Party convention in 1994 endorsed
same-gender marriage.  Linda Rosehill's lobbying directly contradicted
the party platform.

	"Hawaii's Future Today" is well-funded.  Anti-gay supporters
wore beautiful T-shirts with their message at the House hearing on Tuesday.
Their literature and fundraising appeal are very professional.  Mike
Gabbard, of "Stop Promoting Homosexuality Now", toned down his testimony
in a successful effort to not appear rabid.  He's also head of an organization
with a less aggressive name.  Jack Hoag (not Paul Hoag as I had reported
early), Mormon leader, former First Hawaiian Bank President and co-founder
of "Hawaii's Future Today", appears dignified and grandfatherly on TV.
However, the tone of hysteria remained clearly visible in most of the anti-
gay testimony----the emotional roots of "Hawaii's Future Today"  remain
fear, hatred, prejudice, and a profound misreading of the Old Testament.

					Tom Ramsey
					Co-Coordinator
					Hawaii Equal Rights Marriage
					Project

P.S.  The Hawaii Equal Rights Marriage Project, HERMP, is the sole support
of the work of Dan Foley on Baehr v. Lewin (Foley is the attorney who makes
all court appearances on behalf of the plaintiff couples).  Please be generous
in support of HERMP; Hawaii is a small state, and the tiny gay and lesbian
community here is very active in advocacy work which HERMP cannot address.
Donations to HERMP are fully tax-deductible, and should be made out to
GLCC-HERMP, 1521 Alexander Street, #503 , Honolulu, HI 96822.
 
      The HERMP branch in Kona, on the Big Island, has produced a T-shirt
for sale.  One can send a check for $17.50 to HERMP, P.O.Box 902, Captain
Cook, HI 96704, together with a note about being sent a T-shirt (S, M, L,
XL, XXL).  It is also available in a tank top.  The design is multi-color
on white.  A large triangle points down, with the letters h.e.r.m.p above
the triangle, some male-male, female-female symbols in the border of the
triangle and some palm trees.  To place an email order for T-shirts, or
to obtain more information, please email [email-masked]   Thank you!