Subject: HAWAII, DUPLICATE MAILING
From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 95 12:50:00 HST

COMMISSION NEARS FINAL DECISIONS
			(duplicate of mailing done on 11/21)

	It is nearly certain that Hawaii's Commission on Sexual Orientation
and Law will recommend same-gender marriage, with domestic partnership as
a secondary possibility.  The November 17 Honolulu Advertiser (the
morning daily for the state), had a front-page article "Same-sex legislation
supported by panel", by William Kresnak (the Advertiser Capitol Bureau Chief).
While the commission's report is not yet available to the public, Kresnak
obtained the story by attending the public meetings of the Majority Caucus.
Here's part of Kresnak's report:
        "The state Commission . . . will recommend that legislators change
     Hawaii law to allow gay couples to marry."
        "The commission also will propose a "domestic partnership"
     alternative in case its marriage proposal is unacceptable to lawmakers
     . . . [which] basically would grant all rights enjoyed by married
     opposite sex couples...."
	"Five of the seven members of the commission met in a majority
     caucus yesterday at the State Office Tower to fine-tune details of
     their draft report, which will go out for public comment before
     final approval and submission to lawmakers."
        "[The final draft]...will go to public libraries statewide for
     public review and comment.  Around Dec. 6 or 7, the commission will
     vote on the final report ..."

	The Sunday Advertiser of November 19 ran this editorial,
          "SAME-SEX MARRIAGE:  COMMISSION'S REASONABLE PLAN".
	"The state Commission on Sexual Orientation and the Law has come
     up with a draft proposal for the contentious same-sex marriage issue
     that is both reasonable and right.
        "Critics will say the commission was stacked with supporters of
     same-sex unions, so the results are both predictable and flawed.
	"Supporters of same-sex marriage will complain that the commission
     left a trap-door escape for lawmakers who refuse to confront this 
     matter head-on.
        "We say the comission---that is, a majority of its seven members---
     has taken a reasonable stand that should be adopted by the Legislature.
	"Its basic recommendations is that gay couples should have the legal
     right to marry in Hawaii.  That would be a history-making decision for
     lawmakers, but one that fits with the Hawaii Constitution and common
     sense.
	"At the same time, however, the commission has recommended an
     alternative of legalized `domestic partnerships' if same-sex marriage
     fails.  A domestic partnership law is a forward-thinking effort to
     grant rights to same-sex couples, but falls short of the broad sweep
     of protections and obligations that apply now to legally married couples.
	"The Hawaii Supreme Court has ruled that, absent proof of a compelling
     interest by state authorities, the current law against same-sex
     marriages is unconstitutional.
	"Clearly, the commission found no such compelling state interest.
     Lawmakers should do the same."

				end-of-editorial

	This is a great endorsement by Hawaii's most major newspaper!

	The opposition to same-gender marriage is quietly preparing a counter-
attack.  Last August, they did focus groups (a scientific media survey
technique to elicit the emotions surrounding hot-button issues).  Just this
week, telephone polling occurred on a large scale, asking people how they
felt about such issues as murder and ending with same-gender marriage
(including the specific question of what they thought of HERMP's attorney
Dan Foley).  The polling is clearly prejudicial and intended to rouse fear
and hatred.  Also, the opposition has hired one of the best, "liberal"
lobbying firms in Honolulu (staff includes a former national Democratic Party
Committeewoman) to press their opposition with the legislature:  no to
everything, including domestic partnership.

					Happy Thanksgiving!

					Tom Ramsey
					Co-Coordinator
					Hawaii Equal Rights Marriage Project

P.S.  The Hawaii Equal Rights Marriage Project, HERMP, is the sole support
of the work of Dan Foley on Baehr v. Lewin (Foley is the attorney who makes
all court appearances on behalf of the plaintiff couples).  Please be generous
in support of HERMP; Hawaii is a small state, and the tiny gay and lesbian
community here is very active in advocacy work which HERMP cannot address.
Donations to HERMP are fully tax-deductible, and should be made out to
GLCC/HERMP, 1820 University Avenue, Honolulu, HI 96822.
 
      The HERMP branch in Kona, on the Big Island, has produced a T-shirt
for sale.  One can send a check for $16.50 to HERMP, P.O.Box 902, Captain
Cook, HI 96704, together with a note about being sent a T-shirt (S, M, L,
XL, XXL).  It is also available in a tank top.  The design is multi-color
on white.  A large triangle points down, with the letters h.e.r.m.p above
the triangle, some male-male, female-female symbols in the border of the
triangle and some palm trees.  Thank you!