Subject: HAWAII, NOV. 7
From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 95 09:04:35 HST

HAWAII, NOV. 7
		COMMISSION APPROVES 70-PAGE MOTION
		    DETAILING LEGAL BENEFITS
			OF MARRIAGE

	It shouldn't have been controversial, but it was.  On Oct. 11,
Hawaii's Commission on Sexual Orientation and the Law started to review
a 70-page motion which simply lists the benefits in the law which are
granted to married couples but denied to same-gender couples.  Jim
Hochberg filibustered at every possible occasion, requiring the commission
to take about 1.5 hours per medium-sized paragraph in public review.
The low point was reached when a single paragraph took 4.5 hours to be
reviewed and voted.  Jim Hochberg was nominated by the Speaker of the House
Joe Souki, and is well-known from public testimony in 1993-1994 as a
a vigorous opponent of any form of domestic partnership or marriage for
same-gender couples; he's also a Rutherfordite (the same people who offered
to defend a man who admitted to murdering an abortion doctor).

	The blessings of the gay and lesbian community, and deepest
gratitude, are deserved by Hochberg's long-suffering, invariably polite,
utterly patient co-commissioners:  Bob Stauffer (author of the motion),
Ku'umeaaloha Gomes, Morgan Britt, Nancy Kriedman, and Tom Gill.
Gill as chairman had made it perfectly clear that the commission WILL finish
its report in time for the 1996 legislature (which starts in January), even
if the commission has to meet daily.

	Now for the controversial stuff!  This morning (Thursday, Nov. 7)
the commission takes up a 20-page motion of Morgan Britt's:  this motion
discuss the public policy aspects of the discrimination documented by
the just-passed 70-page motion.

	I believe that Tip O'Neill described the "Law of the Iron Butt"
in the context of Congressional politics (the two congressmen still awake
at 2:30 am during a long committee meeting are the ones who write the bill).
This law may be a reality of politics everywhere.

					Aloha!

					Tom Ramsey

P.S.  The Hawaii Equal Rights Marriage Project, HERMP, is the sole support
of the work of Dan Foley on Baehr v. Lewin (Foley is the attorney who makes
all court appearances on behalf of the plaintiff couples).  Please be generous
in support of HERMP; Hawaii is a small state, and the tiny gay and lesbian
community here is very active in advocacy work which HERMP cannot address.
Donations to HERMP are fully tax-deductible, and should be made out to
GLCC/HERMP, 1820 University Avenue, Honolulu, HI 96822. 

      The HERMP branch in Kona, on the Big Island, has produced a T-shirt
for sale.  One can send a check for $16.50 to HERMP, P.O.Box 902, Captain
Cook, HI 96704, together with a note about being sent a T-shirt (S, M, L,
XL, XXL).  It is also available in a tank top.  The design is multi-color
on white.  A large triangle points down, with the letters h.e.r.m.p above
the triangle, some male-male, female-female symbols in the border of the
triangle and some palm trees.  Thank you!