Subject: HAWAII, OCT. 3
From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 95 11:40:05 HST

HAWAII, OCT. 3

	HERMP's lawyer, Dan Foley, will be on a New York talk radio
show, channel WABC-NY, at 2:30 am on Thursday Oct. 5.  Co-counsel
Evan Wolfson (in New York) turned down the invitation due to the late
hour, but 2:30 am is 8:30 pm on the previous day in Hawaii.  Dan Foley
is the attorney who has been with the Baehr v. Lewin case from its
beginning, and who actually appears in Hawaii's courts for all
proceedings of this case.  I won't say that it's a great opportunity
to ask Dan Foley some questions, but it's there!

	In the 1995 legislative session, no Hawaii Senator introduced
any constitutional ban on same-gender marriage and only two representatives.
One of these representatives, Emilio Alcon, died this week.  Governor
Cayetano will appoint a replacement who will serve the remainder of the
term (which ends in late December or early January).

        The Commission on Sexual Orientation and the Law held its second
meeting on Wednesday, Sept. 27.  The committee devoted this three-hour
hearing to testimony about benefits in the law for married couples which are
denied to same-gender couples.  Attorney Dan Foley gave some testimony on
the status of Baehr v. Lewin, as did Deputy Attorney General Steven Michaels
(who has argued opposite Foley on Baehr v. Lewin).  An economist testified
on some of the principle benefits to which monetary value might be assigned,
and a legal expert testified on taxation.  Two civil servants also testified,
one who heads the state's retirement benefits office and one who handles all
employee benefits for the state (including health insurance).  For the
next meeting, October 11, the commission may vote on a list a benefits
and hear testimony on what public policy interests might exist for 
extending (or denying) these benefits to same-gender couples; the next
meeting is scheduled for October 11.

				Best Regards,

				Tom Ramsey

P.S.  The Hawaii Equal Rights Marriage Project, HERMP, is the sole support
of the work of Dan Foley on Baehr v. Lewin.  Please be generous in support
of HERMP; Hawaii is a small state, and the tiny gay and lesbian community
here is very active in advocacy work which HERMP cannot address.  Donations
to HERMP are fully tax-deductible, and should be made out to GLCC/HERMP,
1820 University Avenue, Honolulu, HI 96822. 

      The HERMP branch in Kona, on the Big Island, has produced a T-shirt
for sale.  One can send a check for $16.50 to HERMP, P.O.Box 902, Captain
Cook, HI 96704, together with a note about being sent a T-shirt (S, M, L,
XL, XXL).  It is also available in a tank top.  The design is multi-color
on white.  A large triangle points down, with the letters h.e.r.m.p above
the triangle, some male-male, female-female symbols in the border of the
triangle and some palm trees.  Thank you!