Subject: HAWAII, Sept. 25
From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 95 12:15:49 HST

NIGHTLINE TONIGHT, MONDAY, SEPT. 25

        ABC has just called me (it's 11:48 am HST, about 5:48 pm EDT)
to say that their program on Baehr v. Lewin will broadcast tonight.
Don't panic if you miss it; by calling 1-800-913-3434 you can order a
copy of the broadcast for $29.95 plus $4 shipping.  The program will air
11:35 pm  on the East Coast.

	On Saturday, Sept. 23, the ACLU of Hawaii had an historic first.
Governor Cayetano hosted their annual fundraising party at the Governor's
Mansion.  Congresswoman Pat Schroeder gave the keynote address; Hawaii
Congressman Neil Abercrombie also spoke.  Same-gender marriage was very
much in the air:  Pat Schroeder mentioned that the rest of the nation
was astonished at what was happening in Hawaii, and suggested that we send
some missionaries to the mainland to teach people on how to live with
diversity.  Tom Gill, former Congressman and former Lt. Governor and
current head of Hawaii's Commission on Sexual Orientation and the Law,
was honored with an award.  A number of HERMP supporters were present,
including HERMP attorney Dan Foley and his wife, in part because ACLU of
Hawaii has been very helpful in creating political dialogue on this issue
(ACLU has entree, HERMP---a relative newcomer--- does not).

	HERMP has a branch in Kona on the Big Island, which has designed
and produced a wonderful T-shirt.  To order the T-shirt, one can send a
check for $16.50 to HERMP, P.O.Box 902, Captain Cook, HI 96704, together
with a note about being sent a T-shirt (S, M, L, XL, XXL).  It is also
available in a tank top.  The design is muted, multi-color on white.  A
large triangle points down, with the letters h.e.r.m.p above the triangle,
some male-male, female-female symbols in the border of the triangle and some
palm trees. 

				Aloha!

				Tom Ramsey
				Secretary, Steering Committee
				Hawaii Equal Rights Marriage Project

P.S.  HERMP supports the Hawaii attorney in the Baehr v. Lewin case
(Dan Foley).  Contributions to HERMP are tax-deductible, and may be sent
to GLCC/HERMP, 1820 University Ave., Honolulu, HI 96822.  Please be
generous.