Subject: HAWAII, MAY 10
From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 10 May 95 23:01:14 HST

JUDGE SHIMABUKURO DISMISSES
                        MORMON REQUEST FOR A STAY IN
                        BAEHR V. LEWIN

     This morning, May 10, Judge Shimabukuro heard a request by
some Hawaii Mormon leaders to stay all proceedings in BAEHR V. LEWIN
until the Hawaii Supreme Court ruled on whether the Mormons could
be co-defendants with the state (a ruling that will take some time).
Judge Shimabukuro quickly dismissed the request for a stay, and cited
his earlier decision in late March that the Mormons would not be made
co-defendants with the state.  Presumably, the Mormons will now appeal
this rejection of the stay to Hawaii's Supreme Court.

     Dan Foley represented the Hawaii Equal Rights Marriage Project (HERMP)
at the hearing this morning.

     KRON-TV in San Francisco is airing some prime news coverage of the
Hawaii case "soon".  They've also prepared a documentary for later in the
fall.  Likewise, the much-postponed PBS show on the Hawaii case may
be aired this summer.

                        Respectfully,

                        Tom Ramsey, Secretary
                        HERMP Steering Committee

P.S.  HERMP's address is  GLCC/HERMP
                          1820 University Ave.
                          Honolulu, HI
                          96822
(at the Gay and Lesbian Community Center).  The telephone is (808)942-3737.
The FAX number is 926-1000 (the main number at GLCC is 951-7000).  Donations
are needed to fight off the Mormon harassment; donations to HERMP are
tax-deductible.