Subject: HAWAII, MAY 8
From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 8 May 95 18:01:00 HST

MORMONS BACK IN COURT
              TO ASK THE JUDGE TO STAY ALL PROCEEDINGS
                        IN BAEHR V. LEWIN

    On Wednesday, May 10, the Hawaii Equal Rights Marriage Project
(HERMP) will face the Mormon Church again in court.  Honolulu Circuit
Court Judge Shimabukuro will hear a request by some Hawaii Mormon leaders
to stay all proceedings in BAEHR V. LEWIN until the Hawaii Supreme Court
hears the Mormon request to be a co-defendant with the state.

    In late March, Judge Shimabukuro rejected the Mormon Church request to
be co-defendants with the state in BAEHR V. LEWIN.  The Mormons have appealed
this rejection to Hawaii's Supreme Court, which will take a long time to
hear the appeal.  In the meantime, the state is scheduled to present its
case against marriages of same-sex couples on September 25; the Mormons want
the Sept. 25th hearing date delayed until Hawaii's Supreme Court rules on their
being co-defendants. 

     Attorney Dan Foley will be in court Wednesday to oppose the Mormon
request on behalf of HERMP.  HERMP expects the request for a stay to be
rejected by Judge Shimabukuro and expects the Mormons to appeal the rejected
request for a stay to Hawaii's Supreme Court!

     Donations are badly needed to continue to fend off the Mormons.  Every
attack by the Mormons costs HERMP time and much money.  All donations are
tax-deductible and should be sent to GLCC/HERMP, 1820 University Ave.,
Honolulu, HI 96822.  Even $5 makes a difference (thousands giving $5 each
can wipe away our debts).

			Respectfully yours,

			Tom Ramsey
			Secretary, Steering Committee
                        Hawaii Equal Rights Marriage Project