From: [email-masked] (Martin Rice)
To: [email-masked]
Date: 97-03-24 21:16:24 EST

Aloha auwinala kakou.

Was just informed by the Supreme Court Clerk's office in Honolulu that
Hawai`i Supreme Judge C.J. Moon issued in favor of the the plaintiffs in
Hawai`i State AFL-CIO v. Yoshina.

The Hawai`i State AFL-CIO had requested the review the of election results
on the Constitution Convention question on last November's ballot.  The
measure had 163,000+ in favor, 160,000+ opposed with 45,000+ blank or soiled
ballots.

The question became whether or not the 45,000 ballots were to be included in
the overall total of the ballot count or not.  Judge Moon's opinion was
based upon the language that indicated that they should be included.   The
argument center around "ballots cast" versus "votes tallied."

It was expected that the same-sex marriage issue would dominate the
Constitutional Convention to be held sometime after 1998.

I will make the transcript of the opinion available as soon as I get a copy,
which could be in the next few days.

A hui hou,

Martin

  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  "An ounce of sequins can be worth a pound of
  home cooking."
                          --Marilyn vos Savant
                      ~~~~~
                 Fred and Martin
                    24 years,
               yet strangers before
                     the law
  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

   

Date: Mon, 24 Mar 1997 17:23:15 -1000
From: [email-masked] (Martin Rice)
Subject: HAWAI`I ATTORNEY GENERAL WILL NOT APPEAL CONCON OVERTURN

Aloha auwinala kakou.

As a followup to a previous broadcast on the ConCon ruling by the Hawai`i
Supreme Court, the FOX and ABC affiliates in Honolulu have confirmed that
there will not be a Constitutional Convention in Hawai`i within the next ten
years.  

Further, both stations broadcast a reaction by the State Attorney General
Marjery Bronster, which said that the state will not seek an appeal to the
decision by the Hawai`i Supreme Court on the matter.

The NBC and CBS affiliates have not yet confirmed this story.  Their next
broadcast is not due until 10pm, Hawai`ian Standard Time, some 3 & 1/2 hours
from now.

A hui hou,

Martin

  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  "An ounce of sequins can be worth a pound of
  home cooking."
                          --Marilyn vos Savant
                      ~~~~~
                 Fred and Martin
                    24 years,
               yet strangers before
                     the law
  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~