Subject: UFMCC RESPONDS TO HAWAII RULING
From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 1999 12:03:47 EST

NEWS RELEASE

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

CONTACT:
Maaza Mengiste
Communications Director, UFMCC
(310) 360-8640, Ext. 226
[email-masked]
http://www.ufmcc.com 

UFMCC VOWS TO KEEP FIGHTING TO LEGALIZE SAME-SEX MARRIAGES
WEST HOLLYWOOD, CA- Dec. 9, 1999 -- The Hawaii Supreme Court has just 
determined that same-sex marriages cannot be legally recognized.  We do not 
agree and are deeply troubled by this recent ruling that denies marriage 
licenses to gay couples.  In 1993, the state Supreme Court decided that 
same-sex marriage legislation would be upheld unless the state could provide 
"compelling public interest" as to why it should be unconstitutional.  They 
feel the state has provided sufficient reason to deny gay, lesbian and 
bisexual people their right to a legal marriage. 

We do not believe there is a reason "compelling" enough to deny anyone their 
civil liberties.  Rest assured that this setback will not stop our fight to 
secure equal rights for all persons everywhere, regardless of sexual 
orientation or gender identity.  Whether the issue involved is the lack of 
domestic partner benefits at work or the "don’t ask, don’t tell" legislation 
or this legalized ban on same-sex marriages, we will continue to fight 
because God is on our side.  

I urge all of you to pray with me that this new millennium will bring with it 
more just laws that truly protect the civil rights of each and every one of 
us.

In Christ,

Rev. Troy D. Perry, Moderator