Subject: A coverup?? Another Foreign Contibution for Hawaii Political Organization
From: WEWoodsMPH <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Mar 1998 20:27:03 EST

Redistribute as possible - Could help others in similar situation - Making a
difference

Aloha Folks,  				

Last week it was the filing of two complaints and a victory on them just  23
hours after the filing.  Well today two more formal complaints alleging
another acceptance of a contribution from a foreign owned business and an
apparent move to cover up additional public review of the exceptional
contribution (exceeding $1,000.). 

The political action organization "Save Traditional Marriage -98" according
the their report to the State Campaign Spending Commission indicated a
contribution of $1,250. from DFS Hawaii which is a D.B.A. for two foreign
registered corporations (Bermuda and Hong Kong).  After review of business
registration documents we believe this constitutes a violation of the
prohibition of foreign corporate contributions for political action
organizations in Hawaii.

More importantly, this week's complaint against Save Traditional Marriage -98
includes an additional charge of an apparent and profound appearance that Save
Traditional Marriage -98 attempted to cover up the finding of this apparently
illegal foreign contribution by DFS Hawaii when STM-98 issued a refund of
$250. to DFS Hawaii the day after acceptance of the $1,250.00.  Although legal
contributions of more than $1,000 are acceptable, anyone or organization that
exceeds $1,000. is required to complete Campaign Spending Report Forms.  It
appears that Save Traditional Marriage - 98 attempted to prevent a further
investigation of the initial contribution by artificially lowering the
contribution amount to below the threshold for additional legal scrutiny and
review.

Of concern here also, is that it appears that many of the contributors on the
STM-98 report were not aware the contribution was to a political action
effort.  The refund of the additional $250. above the threshold for additional
reporting may have been done to prevent the contributor from becoming aware
the money paid out was to a political action effort.   This is another are of
review that we are involved.   And of course, more charges will be made the
appropriate regulatory or prosecuting attorney agencies as violations are
identified.  

In another positive move, the Campaign Spending Commission has apparently put
the first two complaints on a fast tract for their review and possible action.
Normally to be placed on the commission's review agenda takes two to three
months, however by the end of the week they were filed (2-4-98) I received
notice of the initial review by the commission to be on March 10, 1998 at 3
PM.  I am allowed to address the commission and present the case for continued
investigation and identification of remedies and or sanctions related to the
violations should they be found true.  These latest two complaints mirror the
first one where the STM-98 accepted a contribution from the Australian
Consulate General.  The organization has already stated they would return
those funds that were illegally accepted.  (See article at end.)

I, and those who are assisting in the research into these and other apparent
violations are very concerned that all the investigations and remedies take
place to assure that we get the bottom of the problem.  There are at least
seven other complaints being drafted at this time covering a number of
apparent violations that we believe were well orchestrated and will be proven
to be criminal in the end.

STM-98 raised almost $100,000 in a one-day fundraiser that both the Australian
Consulate General (and his staff member Magill Hind) and DFS Hawaii president
stated they were not aware was a political action fundraiser. 

The unraveling of how the money was solicited, how information was
inappropriately or misleadingly reported, and how the principals orchestrated
and engaged in the fundraising effort will be the focus of future complaint
filings with the State Campaign Spending Commission and a number of other
local, state and federal authorities.  Get ready! -- Someone has to do the job
and a few of us have begun it.

Of course, I and the others reviewing documents and laws and making
interviewing calls with potential witnesses are open to others ideas and input
to doing it right, effectively, and successfully.  If you have views that we
need to know, please send us a message.  If you know of people who may have
evidence that would be of help, please tell us about it or direct them to us
as well.

do good,

William E. Woods, MPH

***

HONOLULU STAR-BULLETIN
P.O. Box 3080
Honolulu, Hawai`i 96802
[email-masked]

February 26, 1998

SAME-SEX MARRIAGE FOES TO RETURN ILLEGAL FOREIGN CONTRIBUTION
By Keith Kosaki
Star-Bulletin

A political action committee opposed to same-sex marriage is returning a
$200 contribution from the Australian Consulate in Honolulu after the illegal
foreign donation was discovered by a gay activist.
[Deleted article.  [email-masked]]