Subject: Fight for our rights-error is last communique-marriage is legal in all 50 states
From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 12 Jul 1998 16:26:00 EDT

Fight for our rights-error is last communique-marriage is legal in all 50
states

Aloha Folks,                  New Gay Marriage Site Covering History and Key
Dates

The last message asking why "are Gay marriage illegal" misses a big point of
law.  Marriages - same-sex or opposite sex are legal in all 50 states.  It is
just that the legal recognition by state under their separate (separate from
religious laws and their forms of marriage) laws just does not cover them.  

It is perfectly legal to be married.  No legal prohibitions against marriage
exist anywhere in the United States.

In fact, polygamy whereby individual churches "marry" individuals with
multiple parties is also legal as far as this researcher can find.  Laws in
U.S. only prohibit legally recognized marriages and their registration from
allowing people to marry (legally) only one partner.

Interesting in this, is that while the list of churches that perform marriages
under their rules and governing mechanisms, one well-known "Gay-supportive"
church does not.  In fact, the formal by-laws and official position of the
Metropolitan Community Churches specifically defines marriage for only couples
of opposite sex and "Holy Union" designation for couples of same-sex.
Recently, I received word from MCC headquarters stating that in the year 2,000
their international conference will be looking to change this discriminatory
practice. But for now it is not the same institution according to this
religion.

To help couples get as much equality and recognition for their marriages done
already - we created and are legally running the Hawaii Gay Marriage Bureau
which issues certificates of marriage to any couple who joins the registry.
They can request an actual marriage registry certificate with date of the
ceremony, minister's name that officiated, couples names and location/date of
where it was performed.  They are also give a registry number the will tie
them to our permanent record.

The community service nature of the Hawaii Gay Marriage Bureau is to keep
couples (married or not) informed of the legal marriage lawsuit, that our
parent organization, the GLEA Foundation, initiated.  The informational
service will let all registered couples know as soon as possible after legal
marriage licenses will be issued in Hawaii, so they can come here and get
LEGALLY married.  

The registry also registers licensed ministers and marriage officiants so that
registering couples can get connected should they want to have an official
marriage service performed now or in the future.   

The new web site for the Hawaii Gay Marriage Bureau is: http://global-
aloha.com/bureau

The site is not yet totally complete, but when it is it will a location of the
history, important resource materials on the lawsuit and other actions
regarding establishing legal marriage in Hawaii, U.S. A. and other countries.

It will be a site for Gay Community New - bulletins, news, latest and current
event of importance to the Gay community.  It will be on-line site for the
Honolulu Gay Support Group and listing of their weekly topics - welcome to all
to attend.  GLEA Foundation advocacy services.  The other activities and
programs of GLEA Foundation will be on-line as their sections get complete.

Do good,  - Don't deny we already have legal marriage - We are just ahead of
the laws recognizing us.  Always true for an oppressed minority.

William E.. Woods, MPH