Subject: HI Investigation - Kauai Ethics Believes Fraud calls for Criminal Investigation!
From: WEWoodsMPH <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 May 1998 21:53:19 EDT

Please redistribute - This is where we need all your help and  
                                               insight!

Aloha Folks,		

                  Kauai Board of Ethics believe HFT-STM98 fundraiser was
fraudulent and asks for State Attorney General action and investigation

This represents the first government agency/body to specifically notes the
alleged criminal activity and requests criminal investigation of these
parties.  I have made the request for the Campaign Spending Commission to do
the same.  I have also met with the Criminal Justice Division of the AG office
and submitted materials related to the request.  Additionally I have submitted
all related materials to the FBI because of alleged federal violations.
Please see letter sent yesterday to the Campaign Spending Commission
requesting their making a similar request to the State AG. (Some material
omitted where not sure if information is in the public domain, yet.)

Please resubmit directly to all community organization leaders and request
their taking action.  Please submit directly to reporters and information
sharers you know and request they do what they can to get this important
development into the hands of the general public who is very much in the dark
on this matter and how extensive the problem seem to be.  Here the Honolulu
Star-Bulletin has done a fairly good job to date, with the Pacific Business
News doing a grand job on the initial review of the situation.  KHNL - NBC
affiliate is only TV coverage so far and there was no follow-up of that event
which was the filing of the extensive report and finding identifying numerous
violations and alleged violations and requested criminal investigation in late
March.

Addresses for your help and communications: 
	Hawaii State Attorney General
Ms. Margery S. Bronster, Attorney General, 425 Queen Street, Honolulu, Hawaii
96813
(808) 586-1500   FAX (808) 586-1239
	Kauai Board of Ethics
Kauai Board of Ethics, Harold Shimizu Vice-Chair, c/o Office of County
Attorney, 4444 Rice Street, Suite 220, Lihue, Kauai  96766
(808) 241-6315  FAX (808) 241-6319
	Campaign Spending Commission
Campaign Spending Commission, 235 S. Beretania Street, Room 300, Honolulu,
Hawaii  96813
(808) 586-0285  FAX (808) 586-0288
	Federal Bureau of Investigation - Hawaii Office
 FBI, 300 Ala Moana Boulevard, Room 4-220, Honolulu, Hawaii  96813
(808) 521-1411  FAX:  (808) 566-4470  Email: [email-masked]

The following is the text of a letter dated 4-29-98 from the Kauai Board of
Ethics to Margery S. Bronster, Hawaii State Attorney General, re: Hawaii's
Future Today and Save Traditional Marriage [98].

Dear Ms. Bronster:

On November 22 [20] , 1997, the County of Kauai sent its Director of Finance,
Wallace Rezentes, Jr.., to the Covey Seminar, "Seven Habits of Highly
Successful People,"  offered by Hawaii's Future Today.  No one in the County
Administration knew that the seminar was actually a fund raiser for a
political action committee known as "Save Traditional Marriage [98]."

We have attached a copy of the October 22, 1997, letter which the County
received and to which it responded by signing Mr. Rezentes up for the seminar.
As you can see, this letter does not indicate that the money collected for the
seminar was to be donated directly to Save Traditional Marriage [98].

This situation has caused the Mayor and her administration a great deal of
embarrassment.  The County Attorney has demanded and received a refund from
Save Traditional Marriage[98]; however we fell that is insufficient.

We feel that the actions of Hawaii's Future Today were fraudulent.  They
solicited money fro Save Traditional Marriage under false pretenses.  Mr.
Rezentes would not have attended the seminar, if he had any inkling of the
destination of the County's funds.

The Board of Ethics feels very strongly that Hawaii's Future Today and Save
Traditional Marriage acted with an intent to mislead and to obtain funds from
parties who might not otherwise have supported their cause.  Therefore, we are
requesting your assistance in ensuring that this type of behavior does not
happen again.

Please initiate an investigation into the conduct of these organizations.  If
you need any further information, please contact Mr. Rezentes or the Office of
the County Attorney.

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Sincerely,
Signatures

Do good,

William E. Woods, MPH

****

Mr. Robert Watada					April 30, 1998
Campaign Spending Commission

Aloha Mr. Watada,

	Please find that the attached copy of letter dated April 21, 1998 from the
Department of Attorney General, Criminal Justice Division.  Please refer to
the last sentence in that communication: "I will remind the Commission that we
are available for such a referral."

	I humbly request the Campaign Spending Commission refer all the violations
and alleged violations presented by myself and any others regarding Hawaii's
Future Today, Save Traditional Marriage, their principals and agents that have
come your way since the first complaint was filed.  The limitations of your
office and review mandates along with the complexity of the intertwining
issues really necessitates an investigation exceeding your own.

	As stated at the April 7, 1998 meeting of the commission by your attorney
regarding at least one "actionable" issue was the misleading and apparently
fraudulent solicitation of one of the activities of these parties.  That in
and of itself speaks to one issue that exceeds the statutory scope of your
office and function.  

	The second part of this communication is to request that upon referring the
list of violations and allegations to the State Attorney General, that the
commission put on hold all outstanding complaints in these matters until the
status of the AG is ascertainable.  The reason being in this request is that
there is linking evidence based upon formal responses by the various parties
and confirmation of statements of various alleged contributors that were
communicated to me during my investigation that would demonstrate a much more
coordinated effort which resulted in the solicitation, manipulation of
resources, and conducting of a number of activities.  Although there were many
such statement one that comes to mind is the statement by . . .          Since
there are many legal issues involved in these transactions and interactions,
many of which exceed legal issues under general review by the Commission, all
the parties of these complaints need to remain parties until the precise
information is garnered through formal investigative procedures and actions
that can only be done with AG or a federal investigation.

	I sincerely request your immediate attention to these issues and request your
action to make the necessary referral to the State Attorney General and the
placing on hold of all complaints until full and substantial investigation
occurs.

		Do good,

		William E. Woods, MPH

P.O.  Box 37083
Honolulu, Hawaii  96837

(808) 537-2000

Email:  [email-masked]