Subject: Court dismisses Ithaca same-sex marriage case -Need to refile
From: HawaiiGay1 <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 10 Jan 1998 02:03:19 EST

Aloha Folks,

The Ithica is a testament that learned people may disagree even when those
with the big bucks and powerful control of media reporters who make the
articles come out against those who are just and right in their endeaver.

The Storrs' New York case will have no detrimental effect on the Hawaii case
as it is based upon Hawaii statutes and Hawaii constitutional issues.  The
article just out by The Blade only quotes Evan Wolfson who fought the Storrs'
request for marriage and got a similar negative article against them at that
initial request for license.

The fact is that the Washinton Blade only seeks Lambda Legal and its ilk
knowing that others such as the GLEA Foundation - Hawaii Gay Marriage Project
which initiated the Hawaii lawsuit totally disagree with Lambda/Wolfson.  Why
was this organization's support for the Storrs not covered as well - only the
negative side????

Since the Hawaii lawsuit began hundreds of reports from around the country and
world have contacted us.  During numerous interviews we were told by reporters
that they could not cover with any depth our work in the area because they had
been informed they would no longer get news/information from the "big guys" if
our organization and its work were fairly recognized and covered in print.

Before I solicited the three Hawaii couples and contracted with the private
attorney, Mr. Wolfson and Lambda Legal Defense were contacted and explained
the conceptualized Hawaii case and they immediately refused to provide help or
support.  That was in late 1980's - Lambda's Executive Director proceeded to
make numerous public statements about legal marriage for Gay people and
decried any decent Gay person from going forward to support it.  Mr. Wolfson
is now re-writing history because he became co-counsel AFTER the Hawaii case
received its two Hawaii State Supreme Court victories in May and June 1993 -
Over three years after the case was filed and more than five years after they
were asked to help.

The Ithica case is truly a potential winner with good legal counsel.  The
chiling effect caused continuously by Evan Wolfson and the Lambda Legal
Defense public relations machine is a hinderance to the freedom and equality
for Gay Americans.  

The resources of this organization have been used to dissuade many learned
legal and non-legal professionals to turn their back on such cases.  Another
such case Wolfson personally tried to prevent from being filed is the Alaska
case.  Then after it was filed he and Lambda made numerous public relation
letters to editors and the like in Alaska stating how important and good the
case was and that he was glad Lambda Legal could be of help to them.
Hipocracy and the run for the money!

Has then post been allowed on the information and marriage boards you belong
too.  

Help get the facts and the word out.  Freedom, equality and justice is
everyone's responsibility.

Do good,

William E. Woods, MPH
GLEA Foundation - Hawaii Gay Marriage Project
Hawaii Gay Marriage Bureau

Initiators of the Hawaii same-sex marriage case

P.O. Box 37083
Honolulu, Hawaii  96837

(808) 532-9000