Subject: Hawaii Investigation and Actions Continue - Also look at "Do Good"
From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 7 Jul 1998 22:23:18 EDT

Aloha Folks,

First, the letter at end of the first section is the last response/rebuttal I
made to the Hawaii State Campaign Spending Commission regarding the complaints
of apparent violations made by Hawaii's Future Today.  This was created in
part because the attorney for them requested the commission dismiss the
charges against them because they had asked for a refund of $1,000 that was
given to the political organization called Save Traditional Marriage 98.
Read, route or discard as you will - FYI - the investigation and call for
criminal investigations with the State Attorney General, FBI, and other
federal prosecuting agencies continues.

The remainder of this letter is to give some perspective to "do good".  

Do good,

Gosh, I have used that ending phrase for about two years now.  I put it on my
writings as a result of a lengthy discussion with several friends as to what I
was really pursuing in my process of promoting freedom, equality and justice.
In the end, this phrase came to light as the basic core of what I WANT to
accomplish.  

From time to time people approach me and ask why I mean by "doing good".  I
think that actions speak more powerfully than the words or concepts alone.
For this reason I have looked around my world and put together things I do
that I think is "doing good", that some may never see.

Some of the things I think are doing good that I am very committed to:

1.  Do not knowingly contribute any of my value, money, and talents to a group
or organization that discriminates or has unfair or unequal policies.  Basic
areas of this review are about discriminatory practices that relate to ethnic,
race, sex, sexual orientation, age, handicap status, past criminal record, and
other non-merit issues.

2.  Speak out against such groups if they promulgate their efforts and their
discriminatory practices.

3.  I do not patronize Consolidated Theaters unless there is no alternative
showing of a special feature. (I did go to a benefit held at Waikiki 3 when I
knew the money was actually going to a charity that I support) (I reluctantly
went to Gone with the Wind last week because it was only theatre chain showing
it on Oahu) The reason is that a little more than two years ago they posted
(announced with GLEE) that they had just had the highest profits in history.
The next day they eliminated all full-time theatre staff, eliminated all
fringe benefits and health care insurances, and cut hourly wages to as much as
50% of previous amounts.  This is the worst kind of capitalism - and they will
not continue with my money supporting their profits and their bad business
activities (lack of fair support of their long-time employees).

4.  I avoid Pali Safeway as they have continually put their tobacco displays
at front entrances, next to child movies and candy, on floor displays at #1
checkout counters (the displays being from the ground up are like billboards
for children - tobacco's next generation of cancer and profit makers.  I go
there whenever I cannot find similar products at a fair price elsewhere.
They said they would change this practice when they opened the expanded store,
but they did not.

5.  I ask all candidates for office the very same questions about the
following issues:

A.  Civil rights for all - does this include Gay men and women?
B.  Safer school environment for all who come to learn - smaller class size,
too
C.  Economic questions - including equal access to entire economic system,
identification of artificial barriers, and the need for fair reasonable
regulatory laws for fair and just business activity.
D.  Health and social service support - to assure coverage of necessary health
care and social service as a minimum for all.
E.  Ethics, ending of conflicts of interest, campaign spending reforms (that
would also be effective in stopping the current corruption and political
abuses easily seen my our citizenry.
F. Demonstration of support for activities which promote whistle blowing and
uncovering of corruption by non-profit organizations and government entities.
These all come under the term: "in community Interest."
G.  Others that show up that I believe are important to all in a civilized
community.
	
I speak out publicly on all candidates, regardless of party affiliation, as to
the responses and whether I support or endorse the candidate.  I also speak
out in opposition to them if their positions are counter to these concerns.  I
take all actions and statements of politicians seriously!!!!!

And I remember past one, two or even three election cycles!!!

6.  I do not go to the Polynesian Cultural Center any more.  Now that I am
aware of their use of the non-profit status of the Center and the Bringham
Young University - Hawaii to provide funding to promote political campaigns
against the constitutional rights of Gay people I no longer suggest or
recommend these institutions for others.  I do however do my best to educate
anyone who will listen about the promotion of political objectives using their
monies, church missionaries, and businesses in a way I believe is unfair and
illegal - not to mention immoral and unjust.

I have many more activities I undertake to do my bit in "doing good."  I have
begun keeping a list so maybe another item may appear in the future - or the
book.

do good

William E. Woods, MPH

Campaign Spending Commission						July 7, 1998
State of Hawaii
235 South Beretania Street, Room 300
Honolulu, Hawaii  96813

RE:  Combined and Amended Dockets and Investigation 
RE:  Hawaii's Future Today

Dear Chairperson Black, Commissioners, and Executive Director Watada:

	This letter is prepared as an addition to my previous communications
regarding alleged violations of Hawaii's Future Today (HFT) currently placed
into a combined docket for investigation by the Campaign Spending Commission.
This response was created, also, in part as a rebuttal to the request by
Hawaii's Future Today's attorney Richard R. Clifton (6-9-98) requesting you to
dismiss the complaints (original and amended) against them that pertain to
their being declared a political organization and requiring them to file all
required reports.

	Dismissal of these and related complaints involving HFT is not warranted.  In
fact, since the combination of complaints and opening of the investigation
into the various and related issues was begun, additional information and
facts demonstrating more of HFT's political activities, as long-standing and
ongoing, demonstrate further amendment to the original complaints to require
additional CSC report filings.

	1.  Specifically, Hawaii's Future Today raised money and placed political ads
in Hawaii's two daily papers on May 9, 1996.  These ads not only cost more
than $1,000 for political advertising space, but also required professional
staff time, administrative costs, consulting costs and other organizational
resources to develop and produce.  Communications from your office initiating
the complaint of their political organization practices dated: May 21, 1996;
June 20, 1996; and July 11, 1996 describe and outline the complaint, establish
a fine for the violation identified, and stated that they shall be required to
register and file CSC reports as a noncandidate committee.  However, the July
11, 1996 letter stated that because you believed that HFT "did not intend, nor
plan to engage in any activity as" such a political organization you would not
require their registration as a political organization.

During this same time frame, Mr. Jack Hoag, co-Chair of HFT, made several
public statements stating that HFT would be endorsing and backing political
candidates.  Thus, this political paid ad was backed by the HFT's Co-Chair's
words.  And that the effort and future efforts of HFT were to be viewed and
known as political.  These words backed up the understanding that the ad was a
political endorsement for the politicians supported in the ad.  And that those
who were negatively portrayed in the ad were to be opposed politically.

Further, the publicly placed ads were not reviewed by the commission as being
made from funds which were solicited in violation of the $1,000 contributor
cap Specifically, HFT solicited and received contributions exceeding $1,000
prior to placing the political ads.  One contributor contributed $29,000 out
of $31,000 reported in one reporting period to the Hawaii State Ethics
Commission prior to the placement of these ads.   

The allowance of Mr. Watada in the July 11, 1996 not to require HFT to do the
requisite political organization reporting does not appear to have been
reviewed fully by the Commission.  Further, the previous review and action did
not take into consideration the additional and substantial violations related
to political fundraising, activities, and statements that actually went to
impact and abuse the political action forum they were involved.  In fact, the
ad opposing and supporting candidates for elective office actually was a
multi-thousand dollar political action activity that may have affected
numerous candidates' success or loss in the upcoming 1996 elections.
Specifically, Rep. Terrance Tom, who was supported by the ad won his re-
election bid by only 54 votes.  Further, Senate Judiciary Chair who opposed
this group's political position and was opposed by the ad lost his re-election
bid.  

Again, in reviewing the limited HFT organizational information that is
currently available, HFT's only paid consultant was Ms. Linda Rosehill, who is
also a former CSC Commissioner.   News articles announcing the beginning of
this organization identified her as the organizer and spokesperson for the
development and organizational administration of HFT.  The expertise and CSC
issues understanding by Ms. Rosehill again demonstrates a pattern of abuse and
violation of Hawaii's laws regarding political activities by this organization
and its principals and agents.   Thus, these additional complaints of alleged
violations need to be added to the current list of complaints and taken into
the whole for investigating, reviewing and understanding the extent and
complexity of the violations perpetrated against our political system.

2. Attempt to dismiss complaint based upon HFT acting and doing work of
political organization, creating and conducting political fundraiser, etc.
Stating in their 6-9-98 letter that requesting the $1,000 refund from Save
Traditional Marriage 98 would eliminate the problem or cause for action of
violation.  

"Once a criminal has broken the law by stealing, the investigation and
findings of guilt and legal sanctions cannot be stopped by returning the
loot."  WEWoods - 7-7-98

Clearly the $1,000 was only portion of what would be considered the political
contribution.  Since combining of the complaints and subsequent review, other
contributions are seen, such as the contributions of their principals and
agents to the Save Traditional Marriage 98 coffers.  Further, the additional
monies and assets of HFT that have gone to the political action funds and
organizational support by HFT have not yet been tallied.  Actions, letters,
call, etc that were done by HFT staff, volunteers, and other 

resources have taken place (based upon additional documents that have been
filed as a result of various responses to the complaints), but their actual
dollar amounts have not yet been tabulated.

Importantly, the understanding that a group by any name that solicits
political contributions, conducts fundraisers, provides their own money, uses
their assets in the process is a basic element of understanding that HFT is
actually a political organization.   There was nothing in any HFT solicitation
material that I have found that has stated that STM98 was a different
organization.  In fact, materials submitted through the response process has
indicated that HFT constructed the political coalition STM98 to which they
were members and supporters.  Clearly that letter is proof that they and their
representative principals were political in nature, purpose, function,
resources usage, and were politically soliciting others to do the same.

Return of the $1,000 contribution is irrelevant to the condition of HFT being
a political organization in and of itself.  This organization and its officers
and agents  knowlingly orchestrated the solicitation and conducting of a
strictly political fundraiser.  They solicited excessively large in-kind
contributions from others that stated in sworn statements they had been
solicited by HFT and did not know the contribution was political in nature.
HFT identified themselves in the process and conducted the fundraiser and
other solicitations again identifying themselves as HFT in their introduction
of the events.   Duplicity and overlapping officers and agents is merely the
shell game of this political scheme.

It is now known that HFT solicited what has been deemed almost 100,000
political dollars actually placed in the STM98 coffers and another $140,000 of
in-kind political contribution via Stephen Covey and/or the Franklin Covey
Company.  

I strongly urge your activating a comprehensive investigation into these and
all related complaints and their amendments regarding Hawaii's Future Today.
For those allegations of violations which exceed CSC jurisdiction, I request
you immediately request the Hawaii State Attorney General and the Federal
Bureau of Investigation (and all other federal agency authorities related to
allegations of fraudulent solicitations, money laundering, and taxation
violations) open criminal investigations accordingly.

Sincerely,

William E. Woods, MPH