Subject: Hawaii Attack Begins - 700 Club and Mormon Missionary Agenda Begins
From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 1998 15:19:14 EDT

Hawaii Attack Begins - 700 Club and Mormon Missionary Agenda Begins

Aloha Folks,             Please redistribute as possible - We are being
attacked! 

My letter to below is in response to new propaganda being put out to our
Hawaii public through the Honolulu Advertiser.  Changing the facts and turning
the propaganda tables on us.  It actually reflects the agenda of the outside
forces of 700 Club and Mormons conducting a missionary overthrow of our
constitutional equality.

The original letter is below my response.  I encourage you to review the
issues and facts and respond accordingly.

Do good

William E. Woods, MPH
**

Editor
Honolulu Advertiser
Via: Email   [email-masked]

I know this letter is a little long for your letters, but each section covers
an important element in the Tanaka letter that was extremely erroneous and
detrimental to the truth and reality of this important issue.  I sincerely
hope you will use all of the letter.

William E. Woods, MPH

						June 18, 1998
Dear Editor:

Lance Tanaka's letter proclaiming Hawaii's pursuit of equality and justice
regarding marriage, as a "mainlanders pro-Gay agenda" is a patent falsehood
that is part of a true outside missionary's propaganda agenda.

Hawaii's same-sex marriage lawsuit was the result of more than nine years of
my research into systemic discrimination against Gay men and women.   During
that time each and every civil rights and Gay rights organization in America
was contacted with only one, the Gay Rights Advocates of San Francisco
offering any assistance to me.   In fact, almost all others conducted
extensive press activities to put down the Hawaii effort to seek legal justice
through the courts.  To actually begin the legal process I founded the GLEA
(Gay and Lesbian Education and Advocacy) Foundation and the Hawaii Gay
Marriage Project that brought together the three couples in the lawsuit and
hired the attorney to file the case.

As the Hawaii case was winding itself through the Hawaii court system these
same naysayers put out a great deal of publicity condemning our local actions
for justice.  Now, that we have established three successful legal stating
that the discrimination and denial of legal marriage licenses was unjust and a
violation of our civil rights, these same organizations have proclaimed
support and many have claimed ownership of the idea and initial efforts they
initially condemned.  Needless to say history was rewritten by these modern-
day money-changers to promote their current fundraising efforts.

But what Tanaka has said is even more pernicious to the people of Hawaii.  His
statement, that the legal challenge was orchestrated in part by mainland
lawyers, is false in totality.   His series of propaganda statements is
identical to statements made during the past few years by Republican TV
Evangelist Pat Robertson on his 700 Club Program.  

All the initial challenges to our lawsuit was by the nationally Rutherford
Institute which created a local organization after hearing of our initial
legal success. Pat Robertson and the 700 Club through their legal arm, AJCU,
and their national political arm, the Christian Coalition, he has orchestrated
a national propaganda package and tour.  This national propaganda machine has
included Hawaii during the past few years and included the filing of their own
legal challenges to the Hawaii lawsuit and even funded other "local"
challenges such as the so-called minority legislator's challenge.

Since the onslaught of Robertson and the first national attacks, Salt Lake
City and the Mormon religious and business empire has since organized their
fiscal and personnel resources, missionaries and lobbying efforts to engage
their national interest and control over our local equality and justice
system.

We, in Hawaii, have all been harmed by the historical carpet-begging
missionaries who came to town to change the ignorant natives and then assume
ownership of the land and businesses.  We are now in the biggest missionary
overthrow of Hawaii's government in our history;  conducted mostly through
doublespeak propaganda trying to turn their mainland origins and resources
around by telling everyone it is those seeking judicial justice who are
organized from outside this community.  

Do good,

William E. Woods, MPH

P.O. Box 37083
Honolulu, Hawaii  96837
(808) 537-2000

**

HONOLULU ADVERTISER
P.O. Box 3110
Honolulu, Hawai`i 96802
[email-masked]

June 18, 1998

LETTER TO THE EDITOR:  MARRIAGE LAWS
Blame Mainlanders for pro-gay agenda

    Jackie Young's attempt to blame support for a constitutional
amendment against same-sex marriage on "Mainland Missionaries"
(Advertiser, June 10) is pathetic.
    Polls consistantly show there is less support for same-sex marriage
in Hawai`i than on the mainland.  As a matter of fact, the choice of
Hawai`i as a place to bring the lawsuit challenging the state's marriage
was orchestrated ni part by Mainland lawyers.  Support for same-sex
marriage here comes mainly from radical gay and lesbian organizations
based on the mainland.
    Despite her efforts to play to local prejudice, Young is a tool
(witting or unwitting) of Mainlanders who want to foist their
pro-homosexual agenda on Hawai`i so their home states will eventually
have to follow suit.
    Local people should refuse to be swayed by her inaccurate (not to
mention bigoted) characterization of same-sex opponents as
"Mainlanders."

Lance Tanaka, Kane`ohe