Subject: Hawaii Reciprical Beneficiaries Update - potential lawsuit to derail it.
From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 1997 23:52:10 -0400 (EDT)

Aloha Folks -

This message/alert is about Hawaii's reciprical beneficiaries (domestic
partnership) update, starting date next week, and expected legal challenge.

First the followup of the callenge by a business group calling itself teh
Hawaii Business Health Council.  Presented in item by item format:

1.  Council's May meeting notice did not include the issue of HB118 - RB.

2.  Members contacted so far have refused to show us on any of our EMail
Alert List contacts minutes of that meeting or any previous ones.

3.  Bank of Hawaii Chair, Richard Dahl has not responsed to two formal
communications regarding the matter.  His HR Director Duane Feekin is current
president of the council and Bank of Hawaii's representative.  Mr. Feekin has
not responded to requests of information regarding the council, its
composition, or letter to the Governor requesting a veto of the bill.

4. Governor Cayetano did not veto the measure.  The bill will become law with
or without his signature on July 1, 1997.

5.  I met with a marketing representative for Liberty House and Outrigger
Hotels day before yesterday about their participation in the council and
their actual positions on the measure.

6.  Both have taken the position that they will implement the RB benefits
measure in their companies.

7.  On Thursday June 19, 1997 Hawaiian Electric (HEI) legal counsel, Joe
DeMarto was to make a presentation to the council recommending they file a
lawsuit to kill the measure legally.  Not sure the legal issue to be put
forth, but was told it related to federal law overriding state law preventing
states from enacting fringe benefit requirements inconsistant with federal
benefits.  This may not be accurate and I have put out calls to try and find
out what this is all about.

I am aware that HEI has sought non-council businesses to participate in the
lawsuit they are planning to file.  They purposefuly wanted businesses out of
council to join them to take away attention from the council and their past
covert actions to have the bill vetoed rather than dealing with the
legislative process that was public.  All businesses of the council had
active lobbying through legislative process, but said nothing about this
issue until it was outside the view of public discussion.

One issue that has come up by companies who are seeking to fully implement
the RB provision is "How do it fairly."   I think this is where the real
success is going to come on fairness.

In reviewing several possibilities on how to the following is what we feel
will be the best solution.

Cafeteria-style Fringe Benefits

Cafeteria-style benefits is a relatively new concept that is moving to the
fore as companies look at the benefits and needs of their employees.  As we
have more of a diverse society the needs of the individual employees is quite
diverse as well.

With cafeteria-style benefits each employee is allowed a set dollar amount of
fringe benefits.  The employee will be able to pick and chose which benefit
to sign up for (other than ones required by law, such as workers comp, TDI,
etc.).  One employee may want individual health care, life insurance, and an
annuity.  Another may want family health coverage and long-term disability.
 The dollar amount support from the company would be the same for both, but
each would chose what would best benefit them personally.  Some couples may
get their family health coverage under one employer and use the benefits of
the other spouse for some other purpose.

In the end, this method would be fair and equal (dollar wise) and allow for
individual differences and needs of employees.  Would go along way as a
positive job recruitment device as well.

Hawaii Gay Marriage Project - GLEA Foundation wants to put out request for
people involved with cafeteria-style benefits programs to contact us.  If you
are an employee . . . If you are the employer . . .  you are head of HR . . .
or whatever your involvement is, we would like to hear from you.  Your input
may help some businesses adopt this progressive benefits model.

Do god,

Bill Woods, MPH
Hawaii Gay Marriage Project
GLEA Foundation

Many of our advocacy efforts take some kind of financial support and
commitment.  Here is one resource that has helped from beginning of the
effort legal marriage, implementation of RB benefits and numerous other Gay
rights advocacy issues.  Think about a tax-deductibel contribution today -
phones, AOL-service, mail, letter-writing and conducting meetings (even by
our only-volunteer) staff/helpers takes financial support.

Donations encouraged to:  GLEA Foundation, P.O. Box 37083, Honolulu, Hawaii
96837