Subject: Reciprical Beneficiaries Status may Open Up other Doors/Benefits/Rights
From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 6 Jul 1997 21:45:40 -0400 (EDT)

Aloha Folks,

Reciprical beneficiaries status may open up a greater set of doors that
originally thought.

I and a small group of thinkers have been in an ongoing discussion for the
past few days on how this new status - available to any two people in Hawaii
18 years and older who cannot now legally marry - will impact other special
rights groups that are prevelant in Hawaii.

For instance, what about Hawaiians who have unique rights to resources from
OHA (Office of Hawaiian Affairs), Hawaiian Homelands, and other native
American benefits, lands, etc?

It appears this new status may open doors for non-Hawaiians who are declared
legal entity of the other (reciprical beneficiaries) may open legal doors to
new extended benefits to their spouses, friend, et.al.

As we were discussing these implications, someone called our Gay Community
Directory number (808) 532-9000 and told of a particular situation where
Hawaiian Homelands had been hassling the couple because one was non-Hawaiian
and sharing the home.  This new status may prevent the ouster of the
non-Hawaiian according to interpretation.

How many other groups bar non-legal spouses and relationships from having
joint use of lands, grants, etc.????

We all need to look at this.   Do you see implications not yet seen?

Other doors opening????????

Get ready - freedom is real close.

do good

Bill Woods, MPH
Hawaii Gay Marriage Project
GLEA Foundation

A tax-deductible non-profit community service organizations dedicated to
promoting freedom, equality and justice for Gays and Lesbians by focusing on
systemic discriminatory practices.

GLEA Foundation
P.O. Box 37083
Honolulu, Hawaii  96837