Subject: Hawaii Supreme Court Justices - not necessarily for Lawsuit!
From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 1997 16:40:51 -0400 (EDT)

In a message dated 97-06-26 02:27:41 EDT, you write:

<< Chief Justice Ronald T Y Moon        (31 Mar 1993-30 Mar 2003)
 	Associate Justice Robert G Klein     (31 Mar 1992-30 Mar 2002)
 	Associate Justice Steven H Levinson  (07 Apr 1992-06 Apr 2002)
 	Associate Justice Paula A Nakayama   (22 Apr 1993-21 Apr 2003)
 	Associate Justice Mario R Ramil      (13 May 1993-12 May 2003)
  >>
Aloha Folks,

Someone put together the above list of Hawaii Supreme Court Justices.  The
implication was that these people would be hearing and acting on the same-sex
marriage case.

This is not necessariy so.  In each decision in the Hawaii lawsuit other
judges were appointed to take place of aging, recused or to fill vacancies.
 Judge Robert Klein heard the case originally when he was a first circuit
judge (he dismissed the case) and recused himself in two additional hearings
and actions when he sat at the Supreme's table.  He would be likely to recuse
himself in future decisions.  Other issues may come up that provides impetus
for recusing and appointing someone from lower court to take action.

This is so damn complicated - much more more more more more motions and
actions to come since the case is before the high court, there is an
amendment battle brewing and expected legal challenges on that should it pass
a public vote.

But we are going to win on all fronts.  Thanks for keeping up and alert.
 Many of the ideas used along the way came from people who saw an issue and a
way to find a solution.   It is the synergism of our civil rights advocacy
community - which could mean all of you and a friend you have not met yet -
that will steer directly or indirectly our communities, country, and courts
to a final freedom, justice and equality for us all.

do good

Bill Woods, MPH
GLEA Foundation
Hawaii Gay Marriage Project

And of course, much of the efforts take some kind of financial support and
commitment.  Here is one resource that has helped from beginning on this and
numerous other Gay rights advocacy issues.  Think about a tax-deductibel
contribution today - phones, AOL-service, mail, letter-writing and conducting
meetings (even by our only-volunteer) staff/helpers takes financial support.

Donations encouraged to:  GLEA Foundation, P.O. Box 37083, Honolulu, Hawaii
96837