Subject: Graulty support by the community that benefited the most.
From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 1996 21:08:52 -0500

This note and request is relevant to supporters of Gay rights and
particularly same-sex marriage.  I hope you will read it carefully and will
support the effort even if you cannot demonstrate support the appreciation.

This is not for a political campaign as the person referred to lost his seat
in the primary election.  It is written by me personally for only one reason
- to show appreciation for Rey Graulty, Current State Senator and Judiciary
Chair.

Aloha Martin, DEMS, Friends and Community,

I have been thinking very hard about ways to show appreciation to Senator Rey
Graulty for his hard work in the Senate.   Particularly for his dealing with
the most controversial of issues, same sex marriage and the constitution.

Through the process Senator Graulty developed and managed a lengthy and
complex review of the issues and developed a Senate supported recognizing at
least some rights of Gay people as citizens in this state and country.

Short vitriolic sound bites overtook the complexity of the work and debate
that has taken place and Graulty lost his primary '96 race to a chosen
representative of Jack Hoag and the mormon/catholic group called "Hawaii's
Future Today."

Our final victory and losses are yet to be made, but Senator Graulty deserves
our directed appreciation for his work that encompasses our lives,
livlihoods, and humanity.

On November 26 - 5-8PM at the DAV Hall his staff, family and friends are
hosting "A CELEBRATION OF APPRECIATION" for Senatory Graulty.  Proceeds will
go to paying off about $25,000 campaign debt and to show him the support he
deserves.

I am calling upon you to make that date available and to buy ticket(s) to the
event.  I have tickets ($25.00) each.  EMAIL me at this address or call me at
(808) 537-2000.

I know that each of you (if you are on my email list) are doing activist work
already and have contributed to many campaigns - and maybe Rey's in the past.
 But this is more than a fundraiser - a personal show of appreciation for
someone who put his career on the line and was brutally attacked for it.  Not
all of the victims of discrimination are within our community.  In this case,
Rey became one of the victims because he worked to make a better world with
all of us equally in it.

Please copy this as necessary and forward to as many as you can.   

If someone will not be able to attend, but wants to show appreciation, please
create a personal letter and send it with a donation to:  "Friends of Rey
Graulty", c/o P.O. Box 37083, Honolulu, Hawaii  96837.  This is my mail box
and I will see personally that Rey will receive all at the event.

Sincerely mahalo,

William E. Woods, MPH

This is done personally as a Gay man, concerned citizen, democrat, and