Subject: CEDAW Workshop (fwd)
From: Mia H H Lam <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2000 00:00:17 -1000

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2000 20:17:58 -1000
From: Ohana Foley <[email-masked]>
Subject: CEDAW Workshop

Hello friends,
We are planning a collectively led, group run workshop on the
International Convention on Elimination of All Forms of Descrimination
 Against Women, CEDAW? Wanna touch up on your CEDAW articles? Wanna get
some group time
in to focus on this the international bill of women's rights? If this sounds
interesting to you and want to celebrate women's history month by
making some of our own, then please email me back. I am also looking for
people who could talk about the Bejing Conference, the +5 and any other
aspect of the women's human rights that would like to be involved.

We are planning on Friday, 3/10 1-4pm in CC220, right before the 4th
annual Tibetan Film Fest. Your feedback is requested for scheduling
appropriateness or conflicts.

Mahalo,

`Ohana Foley
[email-masked]

Without women's rights there are no human rights!

===============================================================================

From: Mia H H Lam <[email-masked]>
Subject: SPAN & CEDAW (fwd)
Date:   Mon, 28 Feb 2000 00:00:22 -1000

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2000 20:21:43 -1000
From: Ohana Foley <[email-masked]>
Subject: SPAN & CEDAW

*******************************
        SPAN ACTION ALERT
*******************************

HELP RATIFY CEDAW!

March 8, 2000
International Women's Day

"One woman is a lone tree. One hundred women are a grove.
One million women are a forest, and that is strength."

The International Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of
Discrimination against Women (CEDAW) was adopted by the United Nations
General Assembly in December 1979 and it is, in essence, the international
bill of rights for women. The Convention requires states to eliminate
discrimination against women in the enjoyment of all civil, political,
economic and cultural rights.

Currently, 165 countries - more than two- thirds of the members of the
United Nations - have ratified the Convention, commiting themselves to a
legally binding international treaty, including participation in a
country-by-country reporting process.

CEDAW has NOT been ratified by the United States Senate!

As an international leader, the United States should commit to defending and
supporting women's human rights worldwide by ratifying the treaty.

What SPAN can do to support women on March 8:

1. Sponsor an event on campus. For instance, host a speaker from your
community who works for
women's rights.  Show a film about women's rights.
(http://www.pdhre.ort/videoseries.html)

We, here at Mercyhurst College, are having a few things for International
Women's Day.  Starting March 7th through the 9th, we are having teach-ins
and on one of the days we're going to show a movie.  We are going to have
information on CEDAW to hand out, plus a variety of other materials.
Hopefully, we'll have a good turn out.  -Faith Lewis [email-masked]

2. Organize a march between two campuses in your city.  Connect CEDAW to
other human rights issues, such as closing the SOA or stopping sweatshops.
Join the thousands of women calling for an end to discrimination around the
world. (http://www.ffq.qc.ca/marche2000)

Hey ya'll, any idea what's going down for March 8--Int'l Women's strike and
SPAN treaty actions on campuses?  We're planning a SOA/women's march
then--campus to campus: LeMoyne (jesuit college) to Syracuse U. The treaty
would be part of the demand for change after a litany of names. -Zac Moore
[email-masked]

3.    Please  E-mail U.S. Senators to help the treaty become ratified. Also,
you can contact your Senator's legislative assistants working on foreign
affairs. Call the Senate switchboard at 202-224-3121 or find specific
numbers at http://www.senate.gov/contacting/index.cfm.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Student Peace Action Network - 1819 H St,NW Suite 420 - Washington, DC 20006
fax: 202-862-9762 - phone: 202 -862-9740 x3051 - [email-masked]

*********************************
Amber Waldref
SPAN National Coordinator
1819 H St. NW Suite 425
Washington DC 20006
ph: 202.862.9740 x 3051
fax: 202.862.9762
[email-masked]