Subject: FN 2591:N CENSUS 2000, MAKE YOUR SS HOUSEHOLD COUNT! (fwd)
From: Mia H H Lam <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2000 14:12:06 -1000

Aloha awakea kakou.

Passing this along from kaikuahine Rae . . . .

In March and April 2000, the United Sates Census Bureau will mail a
census form to each American household.  This year, as in 1990, the
Census form will include a question critical to our ability to determine
the scope and shape of same-sex couples and their children who share a
household.  The form allows for two adults who are living together to
designate their relationship as "Unmarried Partners."  When the census
is completed, information about the numbers and demographics of same-sex
unmarried couples will be available.

When the census was taken in 1990, the Census Bureau did not count any
answer by a same-sex couple who marked "spouse" to describe their
relationship.  The Bureau considered it a mistake because it is legally
impossible for same-sex couples to marry.  This year the Census Bureau
has indicated that it will simply re-categorize the answer from "spouse"
to "unmarried partner" so the data is not lost.  The safest bet for
being counted is to describe a same-sex relationship in its legal term
"unmarried partner".  This will ensure that your family is counted.

In 1990, approximately 150,000 same-sex households claimed the status of
unmarried partner.  Most agree that this is a severe undercount of the
actual number of same-sex partners who are living together.  The
families of same-sex partners deserve to be counted so that greater
diversity in the American family can be reflected and presented to law
makers and others with the power to provide essential benefits and
recognition.  The form is not yet equipped to count the full diversity
of American families, (for example:  bisexual people in opposite-sex
relationships and partners not living in the same household will not be
reflected, and it is not clear what the Bureau will do with multiple
unmarried partner families) but the ability for same-sex couples living
together to be counted  is a marked improvement.

For more information go to http://www.WeCount.org.  The site is
currently under construction, but is reserved for The Census 2000
Visibility Project.  The sight will include information on the
importance of counting same-sex couples and will have flyers you can
download for local education work, such as placing this information in
your chapter newsletter.