Subject: SB3176 LIVES ON FOR ANOTHER VOTE! (fwd)
From: Mia H H Lam <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2000 13:39:28 -1000

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2000 13:28:29 -1000
From: Friends Of Marriage Project Hawaii <[email-masked]>
Subject: SB3176 LIVES ON FOR ANOTHER VOTE!

     Tomorrow, Thursday March 30, at 4:30 pm, the House Finance Committee
will hear SB3176.  SB3176 tries to provide easier access to insurance for
registered gay and lesbian couples (such couples are called "reciprocal
beneficiaries" in Hawaii).

     Here is a short history of the bill:  it passed the Hawaii Senate 22-1
on March 7.  When the House received the bill, four committees were
assigned to review it (normally, this is the kiss of death).  Labor was
first, the Consumer Protection and Judiciary, and finally Finance.  Rep.
Terry Yoshinaga of Labor decided that she didn't need to hear the bill.
Both Consumer Protection and Judiciary approved the bill, with some dissent
and concern over conflict with federal laws (these concerns were raised by
Hawaiian Electric Company, which owns American Savings Banks and other
enterprises).  On March 24, the House had its 2nd Floor Vote (2nd out of at
least 3 required) and sent the bill to the Finance Committee by a vote of
38 to 10.

    Please offer testimony to the House Finance Committee if you can.  The
hearing is in Room 308 of the Capitol, with lots of bills on the agenda
(and much waiting).  You can fax testimony to the House Sgt-At-Arms
586-6501 (800-535-3859 for neighbor island residents).  State that your
testimony is for the House Finance Committee hearing on March 30, 2000 at
4:30 pm in Room 308, and that the committee request 45 copies (the
Sgt-At-Arms will take care of making the copies).

     MORE IMPORTANTLY, HAWAII RESIDENTS SHOULD CONTACT THEIR OWN
REPRESENTATIVES.  Contact from WITHIN THE DISTRICT is worth 100 contacts
from outside.  To learn who your representative is (and how they have voted
so far), email [email-masked] with your street number, street, city
and zip.

With best regards,

Tom Ramsey
President, Friends of Marriage Project Hawaii

PS.  Here is a list of Finance Committee members, with
[email-masked], 586-phone, 586-fax, and room in State Capitol.
All voted "Yes" in the 2nd Floor Vote on SB3176 on March 24, except for
Moses and Meyer.  If you contact someone who voted "yes", please say "THANK
YOU" and urge them to continue to support SB3176.  If you contact someone
who voted "no", BE VERY GENTLE; DO NOT EXPRESS ANGER.  You can express mild
disappointment, urge them to review the testimony and ask them to vote
"yes" in the future.

Chair Dwight Takamine, [email-masked], 586-6200, 586-6201,
Room 306
Vice Chair Bertha Kawakami, [email-masked], 586-6280,
586-6281, Room 434

Bob Nakasone, [email-masked], 586-6210, 586-6211, Room 424
Ezra Kanoho, [email-masked], 586-6270, 586-6271, Room 432
Barbara Marumoto, [email-masked], 586-6310, 586-6311, Room
313

Brian Yamane, [email-masked], 586-8515, 586-8519, Room 331
Galen Fox, [email-masked], 586-8520, 586-8524, Room 319
Brian Schatz, [email-masked], 586-9425, 586-9431, Room 326

Sylvia Luke, [email-masked], 586-8530, 586-8534, Room 324
Lei Ahu Isa, [email-masked], 586-9415, 586-9421, Room 314
Nathan Suzuki, [email-masked], 586-6220, 586-6221, Room 316

William Espero, [email-masked] (uncertain), 586-6360,
586-6361, Room 332
Mark Moses, [email-masked], 586-8500, 586-8504, Room 310
     (Moses voted AGAINST SB3176 in the 2nd Floor Vote on March 24)
Michael Kahikina, [email-masked], 586-8465, 586-8469, Room
328

Colleen Meyer, [email-masked], 586-8540, 586-8544, Room 333
     (Meyer voted AGAINST SB3176 in the 2nd Floor Vote on March 24)
Iris Catalani, [email-masked], 586-6490, 586-6491, Room
323
Kenny Goodenow, [email-masked], 586-9450, 586-9456, Room
425

===============================================================================

From: Mia H H Lam <[email-masked]>
Subject: Good News!  Terry Lets SB3176 Go On (fwd)
Date:   Wed, 22 Mar 2000 14:14:18 -1000

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2000 14:09:18 -1000
From: Friends Of Marriage Project Hawaii <[email-masked]>
Subject: Good News!  Terry Lets SB3176 Go On

         Thank you for all the contacts made to Rep. Terry Yoshinaga about
SB3176!  Here's a note from one of Terry's staff members:  "In the interest
of time, our Labor committee has waived its interest in this bill.  It is
now awaiting a hearing in the CPC and JHA committees jointly.  Best of luck
in your endeavors."  Karen -- Labor committee clerk for Rep. Terry
Yoshinaga.

          CPC and JHA have scheduled SB3176 for a joint hearing tomorrow
(Thursday, March 23) at 2:15 pm, Room 325 at the State Capitol.  You can
read the full text of the bill at the Marriage Project Hawaii web site,
http://members.tripod.com/~MPHAWAII/

          Among other things, SB3176 mandates the State of Hawaii and its
county governements to offer health insurance to employees who are
"reciprocal beneficiaries" (Hawaii's name for registered domestic partners)
on the same basis as for married couples.  The bill may make insurance
easier to obtain for privately employed couples as well, but it does not
mandate private employer coverage.

          You can fax testimony to the House Sgt-At-Arms office at 586-6501
(from Oahu) or 1-800-535-3859 (from neighbor islands).  State clearly that
it is for the joint hearing of the CPC (Consumer Protection and Commerce)
and JHA (Judiciary and Hawaiian Affairs) on Thursday, March 23, at 2:15,
and that 45 copies are needed for the committees.  For more information on
testifying, call the CPC committee at 586-6150.

        To learn who is on the CPC and JHA committees, go to
http://www.hawaii.gov and browse from there (it may be buried several pages
deep).

Again, thank you for contacting Terry Yoshinaga!

Tom Ramsey
President
Friends of Marriage Project Hawaii