Subject: Press Release
From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 95 19:12:00 EST

HERMP
(Hawaii Equal Rights Marriage Project)

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE                      For More Information
                                           Contact Mark Breda
                                           phone (808) 951-7000  
                                           phone (808) 942-3737
                                           pager (808) 641-2252

COURT CASE DELAYED AGAIN

Circuit Judge Chang has postponed the trial date for Baehr V. Lewin, the case
in Hawaii courts that could result in the legalization of same-gender marriage
in that state, from September 1995 to July 1996.  This will allow the newly
appointed commission on "Sexual Orientation and the Law" time to complete its
work and submit the findings.  The new court date will follow the 1996 state
legislative session and precede the general election.  While the delay is
discouraging for those eager to see the case settled, HERMP sees this as an
opportunity to educate the public on this vital human-rights issue.

HAWAII'S LEGISLATORS MAY TAKE FURTHER ACTION ON MARRIAGE ISSUE

Plagued by an overwhelming budget deficit, the 1995 legislature remained
silent on this controversial issue, but may be forced to act on some kind of
legislation in this arena in 1996.  It promises to be a contentious session.
Anything from domestic-partnership legislation to a constitutional amendment
banning same-gender marriage is imaginable.

LOWER COURT REJECTS MORMON CHURCH AS CO-DEFENDANTS

While the same-gender marriage case has not moved forward in court, events
influencing the outcome of the case continue to transpire.  In February the
Mormon church filed a motion in Circuit Court to become co-defendants with
the state of Hawaii.  That motion was rejected by Circuit Court Judge
Shimabukuro last March but the church appealed the decision to the Hawaii
Supreme Court.  The church also filed a motion to stay all proceedings in the
case until the Supreme Court rules on the appeal.  In August the Supreme Court
rejected all the church's motions and appeals to delay the proceedings.  

The Supreme Court did reserve for themselves the issue of making the Mormons
co-defendants in the case.  This could have been done to put an end to the
Mormon misinformation campaign concerning the Mormon Church being forced to
perform same-gender marriages.

           HERMP is a volunteer non-profit organization dedicated to securing
           full fledged marriage rights for gay and lesbian couples in        
           Hawaii.  For information or contributions, contact:
  
                  The Hawaii Equal Rights Marriage Project
                  HERMP/GLCC
                  1820 University Avenue #208
                  Honolulu HI  96822