Subject: PRESS RELEASE--HAWAII MARRIAGE PROJECT
From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 95 15:32:00 EST

DATE: 04-20-95   15:25 EST
THE HAWAII EQUAL RIGHTS MARRIAGE PROJECT
               (HERMP)

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE                              For More Information
                                                   contact Mark Breda
                                                   phone (808) 951-7000
                                                   phone (808) 942-3737
                                                   pager (808) 641-2252
                                                   fax   (808) 926-1000

HAWAII ANTICIPATES SEPTEMBER COURT PROCEEDINGS

The Hawaii Equal Rights Marriage Project (HERMP) looks forward to the hearings
scheduled to begin September 25, 1995, in which the State of Hawaii will
finally present the "compelling state interest" it has in denying marriage
licenses to same-gender couples.  both the Mormon and Catholic churches have
attempted to become parties to the case.  The Catholic church filed a brief
and the Mormon church attempted to become a co-defendant with a claim that it
could represent the interest fo all religions.  The request was denied by
Circuit Court Judge Shimabukuro, and the Mormon Church has filed an appeal. 
Attorney Dan Foley, who represents the same-gender couples, has threatened to
seek sanctions against the Mormon's lawyer for filing a "frivolous" appeal.  

GOVERNOR POISED TO APPOINT NEW COMMISSION

Two developments in the state legislature are significant.  Hawaii Governor
Ben Cayetano signed into law SB888 which creates a new seven-member commission
to study legislative remedies for marriage discrimination.  Governor Cayetano
will appoint all seven members, but two each will come from lists prepared by
the House and Senate.  Anti-gay members in both houses are expected to lobby
for a more conservative tilt in the commission's composition.  The new
commission is expected to build upon the work of the previous body that,
although hindered by controversy, was able to examine existing law relating to
marriage.  The commission is expected to recommend some type of domestic
partner legislation.

CONSTITUTIONAL AMENDMENT FAILS

Two bills submitted to the members of the State House, that proposed a
constitutional amendment banning same-gender marriage died without committee
hearings, and no bills were submitted in the Senate.  This is good news!

UTAH BANS SAME-GENDER MARRIAGE

In a related development outside Hawaii, the Utah legislature passed a bill
which essentially renders invalid any marriage which could not be performed in
Utah, thus nullifying any same-gender marriage performed in Hawaii or
elsewhere in the future.  It is ironic that Utah, which narrowly won admission
to the union because of the polygamous theology of the Mormon church, is now
the champion of a one woman, one man, traditional marriage.  Similar
legislation failed in South Dakota and is presently being considered in
Alaska. 

          HERMP is a volunteer non-profit organization dedicated to securing  
          full marriage rights for gay and lesbian couples in Hawaii.  For    
          information or to contribute, contact:
                         The Hawaii Equal Rights Marriage Project
                         HERMP/GLCC
                         1820 University Avenue, #208
                         Honolulu, Hawaii 96822