Subject: Hawaii Senate votes this week!!! (fwd)
From: Mia H H Lam <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 5 Mar 2000 20:19:52 -1000

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, 5 Mar 2000 20:07:35 -1000
From: Friends of Marriage Project Hawaii <[email-masked]>
Subject: Hawaii Senate votes this week!!!

The full Hawaii Senate will vote this week (March 6 - March 10) on two 
significant bills:  SB3176 and SB2430.  SB3176 has survived review by three 
different committees.  20 (out of 25) senators have ALREADY voted for it at 
least once while in committee.  These senators are listed below; PLEASE 
THANK THEM FOR THEIR SUPPORT AS A WAY TO TOUCH BASE WITH THEM ABOUT THIS 
WEEK'S VOTE IN THE FULL SENATE.  Ask all Senators to support both bills.  
If you don't know who your senator is, contact [email-masked] or call 
the Office of Elections at 453-8683.

SB3176 is intended to make health (and other) insurance available to 
reciprocal beneficiary couples when it is already available to one of them. 
 The bill will definitely work for state and county employees in Hawaii and 
should help considerably with privately employed RB's.

SB3176 has had no testimony against it, and so far no senator has voted 
"no" on it in committee.

SB2430 would ban discrimination in housing when it is based upon sexual 
orientation or family status.  Hawaii law already bans such discrimination 
when it is based upon HIV status.  Three people have testified against this 
bill so far, and one senator (Norman Sakamoto) has voted against it in 
committee.  Norman Sakamoto voted FOR SB3176 in committee, so his 
perspective on these two bills presents an interesting conundrum for those 
who live in his district!

With best regards,

Tom Ramsey
President of Friends of Marriage Project Hawaii

Senators Who Have Voted "Yes" In Committee For SB3176
CPN---consumer protection committee
JDC---judiciary committee
WAM---ways and means committee

Whitney Anderson (JDC, but "with reservations")
Jan Buen (WAM)
Avery Chumbley (JDN) (also "yes" on SB2430)
Suzanne Chun Oakland (JDC & WAM) (also "yes" on SB2430)
Carol Fukunaga (WAM)
Colleen Hanabusa (CPN)
Marshall Ige (WAM)
Les Ihara (JDC) (also "yes" on SB2430)
Lorraine Inouye (CPN)
Randy Iwase (WAM)
Brian Kanno (CPN)
Cal Kawamoto (WAM)
Andy Levin (WAM)
Matt Matsunaga (JDN) (also "yes" on SB2430)
David Matsuura (CPN)
Bob Nakata (WAM)
Norman Sakamoto (JDN) but "no" on SB2430
Rod Tam (WAM)
Joe Tanaka (JDN) but "yes, with reservations" on SB2430
Brian Taniguchi (CPN & WAM)