Subject: Re: *M*: ***CENTRALIZED Marriage Bill Information (weekly)***
From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 1997 19:22:24 -0500 (EST)

Aloha Jeff & Marriage Information Weekly,

Your phrase supermajority is in your discussion/review of our constitutional
convention question.  That is not an issue with the vote or review by our
State Supreme Court.  Only a simple majority is needed to decide a
constitutional convention.  However what is in question is if blank votes are
counted in total ballots cast.  If so then majority of yes would have to
cover no votes and blank votes.  Supreme Court is to rule if blank votes
count as a vote, thus a negative vote for purposes of determining the
majority.

Supermajority is usually defined as two thirds or three quarters in most
documents.

Another point in you bill information post.  In the situation that both bills
pass out.  The amendment would go on ballot at that point (to be voted on in
19980.  But the other bill covering the form of domestic partnership would
then go to governor who could veto it.  Then only the amendment would be
alive.   The domestic partnership measure is so very flawed most legal
opinions believe it is partially or all unconstitutional which could lead to
a justifiable veto.

Mahalo

do good

Bill
Hawaii Gay Marriage Bureau