Subject: Re: *M*: ***CENTRALIZED Marriage Bill Information (weekly)***
From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 1997 22:07:05 -0500 (EST)

This last posting about constitutional amendments and other activities taking
place now in Hawaii has some significant errors.

One important one that should be corrected is the State Supreme Court review
of ballot issue of last Novemeber's election on whether we will have a
constitutional convention between now and the year 2000..  It was not
appealed on grounds it needed a super majority, but rather that people who
did not vote either yes or no should be counted as no.  For constituional
amendments all blank votes count as no.  The language for establishing a
constitutional convention is less clear, but those who created the language
produced official journals that stated the votes should be counted as the
amendments are.  There was just about 3,000 more yes votes than no votes,
with more than 45,000 blank votes.  See our delimna???

A few of the comments about legislation that has moved is not completely
accurate, but since all measures will be reworked in joint conference
committee no need to split hairs.

do good

Bill
Hawaii Gay Marriage Project