Subject: Real Hawaii Bull and Rape Continues - Can You Believe the Gall?
From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 20 Apr 1997 23:57:52 -0400 (EDT)

Aloha Folks,

This letter to editor by the Senators who turned away from equality to
separate and unequal I am truly appalled.  Is anyone else?

This is just plain bull and media rhetoric.  I know they believe that we are
second class citizens deserving of less than any other American, but JUST WHO
DO THEY THINK THEY ARE TALKING TO?????????????

William E. Woods, MPH
Hawaii Gay Marriage Project
GLEA Foundation

From:

HONOLULU STAR-BULLETIN
P.O. Box 3080
Honolulu, Hawai`i 96802
[email-masked]

April 18, 1997

LETTER TO THE EDITOR:  Support of civil rights cannot be done gradually

Your April 14 editorial leaves us confused as to the editorial position of
the Honolulu Star-Bulletin on same-sex marriage.  You apparently reversed
what has been your historical position regarding the granting of substantial
equality to non-traditional couples.

Until Monday, we were heartened by the courage demonstrated by your
editorial posture of treating this issue "as a civil rights matter," and
that if the Hawai`i Supreme Court opinion must be overturned by a
constitutional amendment, "rights of domestic partnerships should be
statutorily recognized in separate legislation in lieu of same-sex marriage."

We in the Senate admired the guts that it took to take a legal and
conscience-based position that ran contrary to popular opinion.  From our
perspective, this progressive stance reaffirmed the wisdom of granting our
press special status under the first amendment of the Constitution.

We were therefore surprised when your Monday editorial concluded that "some
benefits should be granted to domestic partners in lieu of marriage
benefits. This can be a gradual process."  To move from full marriage and
full domestic partnership to "some" rights on a "gradual" basis is a turn
that leaves us confused.

While the Senate has never been prepared to sanction the issuance of
marriage licenses to non-traditional couples, we have always shared your
announced view that this is a "civil rights" issue, the addressing of which
would include the immediate provision of meaningful rights and benefits.

We know of no civil rights which are best granted in a "gradual process."
Like pregnancy, a commitment to rights is not something that lends itself to
gradualism.  You are either committed or you are not.

Matt Matsunaga, Co-Chairman
Avery Chumbley, Co-Chairman
Wayne Metcalf
Mike McCartney
Senate Judiciary Committee