Subject: Hawaii - Letter to Editor - Star-Bulletin Opposes Equal Protection of Gays
From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 1997 15:39:23 -0400 (EDT)

Aloha Folks. 

Even we at the GLEA Foundation send letters to the editors.  This is one that
will - like so many others - not be printed.  But at least you know we are
aware of the Star-Bulletin's growing opposition to our equal rights.

Do good

Bill
Hawaii Gay Marriage Project
GLEA Foundation

PS:  There is a need for letters to editor of both papers in Hawaii,
particularlly from Hawaii residents.

Subj:	Letter to Editor
Date:	97-04-15 15:29:27 EDT
From:	HawaiiGay1
To:	[email-masked]

Dear Editor,

Your editorials (and some letters to editor) actually discussing limited
rights for groups our citizens does not show much movement towards
understanding of Constitutional equal protection.

Just a couple of years ago your editorials stated that the marriage should
not be limited to opposite sex couples as you based your position on equal
protection and historical prohibition of marriage of couples of different
races and religions.  Many times you wrote that the legislature should allow
the courts to finish the process to assure that equal protection was in fact
a reality in Hawaii.

Now your editorials believe that it is OK to legislate organized religious
discrimination, hatred and fear of Gay people out of equal protection rights.

Do you now believe people should have equal protection based upon race,
religion, and sex?  Did you believe so and act accordingly when these issues
were being visited by the suffrage movement and women' rigth to vote, Brown
Vs the Board of Education, Roe vs. Wade?

We all seem to get and believe in equality after we have collectively been a
part of the perpetuation that equal should not be equal for all - all the
time.   You sure give us, the readers, a reason to discount your editorials.
 They seem to blow in the wind.

Sincerely,

William E. Woods, MPH
Executive Director
Gay and Lesbian Education and Advocacy Foundation

W.  532-9000