Subject: Hawaii Legislature Acts on Pending Legislation - 4-29-97
From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 1997 22:27:26 -0400 (EDT)

Aloha Folks,                                                       April 29,
1997  3:00PM

Today is the beginning of tough times because of Hawaii's legislators.

With little wrangling the House passed HB118  with a positive vote of 41.
 Not sure the against number because of various "official" reports.  There
are a total of 51 possible votes if all were present.   

The same anti-Gay forces such as Rep. Herkes, Whalen, McDermott, Ward, Jerry
Chang, Moses, Meyer, and Kahikina spoke against it.  Rep. Ahu Isa voted
against it also.  She referred to herself in lobbying meetings as a reformed
Mormon.  [Not reformed enough obviously.]

After that vote the Senate passed the amendment (HB117) unanimously of all
present.  Someone was missing because vote was only 24 of 25.   I believe the
missing vote may have been Sen. Kanno, but have not been able to confirm at
this time.

With several other meetings taking place, I could not wait for House to pass
the amendment.  Will report later today on that an other issue that need
confirmation before reporting.

do good

Bill
Hawaii Gay Marriage Project
GLEA Foundation

Donations welcome to keep the work going.

GLEA Foundation
P.O. Box 37083
Honolulu, Hawaii  96837