Subject: Hawaii Update - 4-26-97 - Senator Chumbley Adds Information
From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 26 Apr 1997 21:43:07 -0400 (EDT)

Aloha Folks:

The letter at bottom of this update was sent to legislators and media and
alert list Friday afternoon.   It was based upon one of our associates going
to two different (supposedly) meetings of anti-Gay forces here during past
few days.  The messages goven out by both meeting leaders were so similar in
content that we felt it necessary to report it to our most concerned
supporters and legislators who had told us something quite different.  

Friday afternoon, I received a phone message from Senator Avery Chumbley that
asked that I get out the correct information according to him regarding
HB118.  Sen. Chumbley stated that it has been guaranteed to him by the House
that it will pass out HB118 no matter what.  He stated that he had also had a
personal meeting with Governor Cayetano who told Chumbley that he would sign
HB118 and that he had no problem in doing so.  Chumbley, too described this
as a guarantee of its being signed by the Governor upon his receipt from
legislature.

I now hope this is perfectly clear.

Do good,

Bill
Hawaii Gay Marriage Project
GLEA Foundation

April 25, 1997

TO:  Hawaii State Legislators

FROM:  William E. Woods, MPH
              Executive Director - GLEA Foundation

Dear People,

After receiving reports from two different political meetings of anti-Gay
rights groups this past week, it is clear that efforts are under way to
prevent passage of HB118 by the House of Representatives and if that fails it
is to be vetoed by Governor Cayetano.

Both meetings sponsored by two different opposition groups told their
supporters that the House was on track to kill the bill.   They further
indicated that if the Senate put up enough pressure to pass 118 in order to
get out HB117, they would at the last minute allow it to pass House with an
explicit understanding from Governor Cayetano that he would then veto the
measure, thus preventing it from becoming law.

Both messages were so similar that it was clear by our observer that they
were generated from same coordinating body.

Nothing like a triple whammy against Hawaii's Gay citizens.

			Sincerely,

			William E. Woods, MPH