Subject: Hawaii Alert - Update
From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 1997 19:05:07 -0500 (EST)

Aloha Folks,

Since the Joint Conference last Wednesday there has been no action on either
house's part to meet.  Once Conferee stated to me this morning "that [last
week's meeting] left a bad taste in his mouth."  He said it ended up being a
media display for Terrance Tom and very hostile House.

Importantly, as far as action goes, the RRR has been trying to organize a
district challenge against Senator Matt Matsunaga.   It appears that a group
has been calling residents in the area and asking them to join forces to
confront Matsunaga and to demand he go for Tom's amendment.

Senator Chumbley has already been confronted by a small loud group in his
district.

Evidently, the opposition has so much time and money on their hands because
their House leader, Tom has pretty much cut off constructive communications
with the Senate, that they are now going into Senate conferees districts to
try to build a more grass-roots challenge.

If you see anything tangible along these line, the Hawaii Gay Marriage
Project would appreciate your sending them along to us.  We need to track
these activities, and deal with any illegal or unethical activities that
might take place.

Bill
Hawaii Gay Marriage Project
GLEA Foundation