Subject: Hawaii Alert for Friday 4-11-97
From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 12 Apr 1997 00:12:53 -0400 (EDT)

Aloha Folks,

This is an alert to people in HOnolulu.  You are encouraged to come to
Capitol tonight (Friday from 8-midnight).  There is expected to be a joint
conference and something expected to come out.

Attendance of our side's supporters could be important to what actually is
proposed and might be accepted.

Martin Rice, Tracey Bennett, Dan Foley and myself were at the Capitol most of
afternoon and will return for tonights work.

Do good,

NOW IS THE TIME.

Bill
Hawaii Gay Marriage Project
GLEA Foundation

This is what Martin wrote a short time ago before the alert was prepared to
encourage all Hawaiian community to come to Capitol tonight.

Aloha auwinala kakou.

7 hours . . . . tick . . . . tick . . . . tick . . . .

Martin here in Honolulu.

Just came from Senator Chumbley's office.  He was non-commital, but it looks
like tonight is the night for something to come out of committee.  

There will not be a Joint Conference Committee meeting *before* 9pm HST.

Earlier today it was reported that Rep. Tom had acquiesced to the Senate
position on HB 118 (the right's package) with the exception of state income
tax benefits.  When Tom expected the Senate conferees to come to his side on
HB 117 (the Constitutional Amendment defining marriage in terms of one man
and one woman), and the Senate conferees wouldn't budge, the meeting ended
with Tom screaming "F**k You!!  F**k You!! F**k You!!"

It appears that the haggling still going on is centered around language on HB
117, with the Senate hanging tough, but still trying to come to a compromise
that works with the House definition without giving up due process for our
side.

We'll go back to the capitol in a few hours and wait for the meeting, and
I'll report back as soon as possible.  The call has gone out for our
supporters to come down to the State Capitol later this evening.

A hui hou,

Martin