Subject: Hawaii Update and Report - 4-10-97 - Hawaii Gay Marriage Project
From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 1997 15:07:24 -0400 (EDT)

Update and Report from Hawaii Gay Marriage Project

Update on 5th meeting of joint conference on Hawaii legislative bills to
propose anti-same-sex marriage amendment (HB117)  and one to create
reciprocal beneficiaries  (HB118) (domestic partnership benefits) for those
who cannot legally marry.

Part of this is taken from call-in report from myself to Martin on Kauai
because I was not able to get to my computer.  After his initial report I
have added additional material.  Only about 40 hours left in deadline.
 However this deadline of April 11 is an internal one which can be changed by
two individuals:  The Speaker of the House and the President of the Senate.
  The absolute deadline given the ending date of the session is April 19
which is provided by law for 10 days notice of any proposed amendment to be
voted on by the legislature. (must be 10 days before end of session.)

4-9-97 evening report and update:

At 9:45 received a phone call from Bill Woods with the counterproposals from
the House, that were apparently received without comment by the Senate
conferees.

Their latest version of the proposed Constitutional Amendment reads:  "The
Legislature shall have the power to reserve marriage to opposite sex
couples."

Further, Lead House Conferee, Terrance Tom, made it specifically clear that
the House has no intention of discussion on the so-called "Reciprocal
Beneficiaries" bill as the deadline for that legislation is later this month.

By taking the action that the House did, it was made perfectly clear that
the House has chosen to ignore the Senate's concerns for fairness and
equality.  The House's new version of the proposed amendment also make it
clear that there is no avenue of redress for any future concerns of
nontraditional couples.

My additions: WEW

HB117 the latest House version not only limits issuing of marriage licenses
to the legislature, but also legally allows them to limit those rights solely
to this group without violating equal protection by this overriding
amendment.

It was absolutely clear that Rep. Tom would in no way pass the HB118 to
provide some limited rights to other than heterosexual adult couples if any
amendment passed out.  He emphatically said the Senate's draft was tougher
[meaning further from House desires to tar and feather and annialate Gay men
and women] that what the House wanted.

Senate Judiciary co-chairs were intereviewed by several news media following
the conference and reiterated the Senate's position that fairness and
equality for Gays and Lesbians must be a part of whatever legislation comes
out or they will not support any.   They clearly said that rights and
benefits though HB118 would have to go hand in hand with HB117 or they would
not be able to support either measure.

About 40 hours left for first deadline.  Let us hope freedom, equality, and
justice prevail.  The following is my long tag-line that I would hope to
eventually turn into a bumper sticker - anyone want to donate to get bumper
stickers produced?

Agape = Freedom, Equality & Justice = Peace

Do good,

Bill
Hawaii Gay Marriage Project
GLEA Foundation

Donations to:  GLEA Foundation, P.O. Box 37083, Honolulu, Hawaii  96837