Subject: "Some countries cut their heads off. What more do they want?" Call to Action
From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 1997 14:31:48 -0500 (EST)

Aloha - Update and Call for Action from the Hawaii Gay Marriage Project

Yesterday, January 21, 1997, proponents of equal rights sat through hours of
testimony before the Hawaii State House of Representatives' Judiciary
Committee in hopes that good judgement would prevail.  That was not to
happen.

House Judiciary Chair Terrance Tom who created last year's constitutional
amendment prohibiting same-sex marriage, chaired today's hearing on the same
amendment and separate statutory measure providing some contractural rights
for any couple who could not get legally married.    This measure covers four
rights out of over 400 found within the institution of legal marriage.  It
does not cover any health or child custody issues.  The latter bill is a
domestic partnership bill although Tom decried that it was not (because his
homophobic allies oppose domestic partnerships because they recognize Gay
couple relationships.).

The most outstanding example of the opposition's anti-Gay position came from
Janice Judd, long time homophobe and a primary sponsor of an organization
called "Stop Promoting Homosexuality."  Janice told the legislators of the
committee, the public and media that "some countries cut off their (Gays)
heads  We don't do that.  What more do they want?"

Without one word of discussion the committee voted 12 for the amendment and 1
against.  On the domestic partnership measure all voted for the bill with
most doing so with reservations.  

These measures are expected to pass second reading on Friday and third
reading (passsing out of the House) on Monday of next week.

The Hawaii Gay Marriage Project requests your immediate attention and action
to this anti-Gay movement in the Hawaii State Legislature.

The following action steps are recommended to help in the process:

1.  Write (Faxing or emailing not encouraged at this time) key House members
to stress they stop these measure (or any anti-amendement that may come out
of compromise from the Senate:

        Speaker of the House Joseph Souki
        House Majority Leader Tom Okamura
        House Judiciary Chair Terrance Tom

   All legislators to be addressed c/o Hawaii State Capitol, Honolulu, Hawaii
 96813

        CC: Copies to GLEA Foundation - Hawaii Gay Marriage Project
                              P.O. Box 37083, Honolulu, Hawaii  96837

2.  Send letters (Faxes and email not recommended at this time) to Key Senate
members requesting they stop the amemdement proposed by the House or any
version of it that would limit or deny rights and benefits to anyone.

     Senate President Norman Mizuguchi
     Senate Vice-President Mike McCartney
     Senate Majority Leader Les Ihara
     Senate Judiciary Co-Chair Avery Chumbley
     Senate Judiciary Co-Chair Matt Matsunaga
     Senate Ways and Means Co-Chair Lehua Fernandez-Salling
     Senate Ways and Means Co-Chair Carol Fukunaga

    All legislators address are:  c/o Hawaii State Capitol, Honolulu, HI
 96813

        CC: Copies to GLEA Foundation - Hawaii Gay Marriage Project
                              P.O. Box 37083, Honolulu, Hawaii  96837

3.   It is obvious that lobbying and educational activities on our side need
to increase.  We request that you consider an immediate contribution
(tax-deductible under IRS guidelines) for the community education and
lobbying to promote our equality and oppose anti-Gay legislation.

      Donations to the GLEA Foundation - Hawaii Gay Marriage Project should
be made by check only to:  GLEA Foundation, P.O. Box 37083, Honolulu, HI
 96837.  For further information, you may call (808) 532-9000 - long distance
calls must be returned collect only.