Subject: Hawaii - Another step forward - movement of Hate Crimes bill from Senate Jud.
From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 5 Feb 1999 15:59:22 EST

Aloha Folks,               February 5, 1999

It is getting to be extremely exciting driving home the past couple days.
Yesterday the Board of Education unanimously added "sexual orientation" to
their proposed new policy covering harassment.

Today the Senate Judiciary Committee headed by Senators Avery Chumbley and
Matt Matsunaga passed out SB 605.   This bill is the one drafted by our Hate
Crimes Task Force and has received considerable attention in the media,
community groups, and through two hearing.  The first hearing was at the House
Labor committee through companion bill HB289, where it is considered dead.

Some of the earlier concerns have been discussed and some perspectives have
changed to be supportive.  In the second hearing we made sure to focus on
protected free speech not being in jeopardy by this bill.  The previous
opposers on this issue no longer emphasized that concern.

Senate Bill 605 will be decked and then to Ways and Means.   The Hate Crimes
Task Force is starting the educational and lobbying effort at that important
step.

**  As facilitator of the Task Force, I am suppose to make this call for
support whenever possible.  If you have energy or resources to help us promote
this legislation, please let me know.   If you are part of an organization
that we may speak to - encouraging their endorsement and testimony at future
hearings, again, please let me know.

William E. Woods, MPH
Hate Crimes Task Force
(808) 537-2000

GCN2-5-99