Subject: Hawaii Hate Crimes Bill Drafted - Meeting Scheduled - RSVP your coming
From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 7 Jan 1999 21:49:37 EST

Aloha Folks,
		Please redistribute to indivudals and organizations that would want to
support hate crimes legislation:

The Hate Crimes Task Force has been busy redrafting last year's bill which was
held up by Rep. Terrance Tom. 

The following is the notice of our next meeting - 1-13-99 - Senate Conference
Room 212 at 3 PM.

The note included in the notice gives a small bit of what will be on the
agenda.

PLEASE RSVP if you are coming:  RSVP to Bill Woods  537-2000

Meeting Notice
Hate Crimes Task Force

Wednesday,  January 13, 1999

Senate Conference Room 212
(Hawaii State Capital)

Update Information:  

	The December 23 meeting resulted in accepting the latest draft of the
proposed hate crimes bill.  Senators Matsunaga and Chumbley have agreed to its
introduction.  They will also pursue it being included in the Senate Majority
package.  All participants in the Task Force have been sent Fax or hard copies
of the draft bill.  It is hoped that all will pursue their organization's
endorsement and acknowledge it at the 1-13-99 meeting 
	Kyle, Barbara and Bill met with Rep. Paul Oshiro, House Judiciary Committee
Chair, on December 31 to present the bill and to request his support and
introduction into the House.  We are awaiting his communication on our
request.
1. Now that a bill has been accepted by the Task Force we need to draft a
letter to Margery Bronster, Chair of the Law Enforcement Coalition defining
the bill and addressing several specific issues.  This letter is to request
her support/endorsement and that of the LEC.
2. A.  The agenda of the 1-13-99 meeting will necessarily include preparation
and conducting of lobbying.  B.  Promulgation of the bill to groups and
individuals that we would like to endorse bill, join Task Force, testify,
etc.;   C.  Look at possibility of creating a community-based hate crimes
report such as a "Climate of Hate in Hawaii Report".
3. If there are other suggested agenda items, please contact Bill Woods at
537-2000.

This is your invitation, please RSVP your being at the 1-13-99 meeting.

If there are other organizations or individuals that should be included,
please contact Bill Woods at 537-2000 who will contact them, get them copy of
bill,  and update them of current process and activities.