Subject: Hawaii Governor Proclaims Pride Month
From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 9 Jun 1999 23:01:12 EDT

Aloha Folks,

Thanks to Martin Rice of Kauai for putting the following information of the 
Goveror's Proclamation and attendees on-line (typing all into computer).

In addition, Governor Cayetano made a strong statement about this particular 
proclamation.  He said that he does many proclamations for many reasons, but 
this one he considered very special to him as he wants to be in the fore of 
promoting fairness and equality of Hawaii's Gay and Lesbian Community.

do good

Bill Woods

[Seal of the State of Hawai`i]

PROCLAMATION:

WHEREAS, the month of June, 1999 has been designated by the gay &
lesbian community of Hawai`i as a time of celebration and
memorialization; and

WHEREAS, activities during Gay & Lesbian Pride Month are designed to
acknowledge the signifacnt contribution of  lesbian, gay, bisexual and
transgendered people to the life in our islands; and

WHEREAS, the Tenth Annual Gay & Lesbian Pride Parade & Rally will be
held on June 19th, 1999 from Ala Moana Park to the Kapi`olani Park
Bandstand; and

WHEREAS, Frank Crouse of Hana, Maui will be honored as the parade's
tenth Grand Marshall, in recognition of his lifelong commitment to
equality, outstanding community work with Both Sides Now and for his
dedication to creating community and soical service programs for
Hawai`i's gay & lesbian community; and

WHEREAS, the rally will highlight the theme " ONE WORLD, ONE PEOPLE, ONE
JUSTICE " which underscores common bonds that link diverse communities
and promotes the shared goals of justice for all; and

WHEREAS, community organizations throughout Hawai`i have also joined
together to commemorate the thirtieth anniversary of the Stonewall Riots
of 1969 which marked the beginning of the modern gay rights movement;
and

WHEREAS, the people of the United State of America and the State of
Hawai`i recognize the human rightrs of all ciitznes;

NOW THEREFORE, I, BENJAMIN J. CAYETANO, Governor of the State of Hawai`i
due hereby reaffirm by proclamation our state's commitment to human
rights and dignity for all people and wish the gay & lesbain community a
rewarding observance of June 1999 as Gay & Lesbian Pride Month in
Hawai`i.

DONE at the State Capitol, in the Executive Chambers, Honolulu, State of
Hawai`i this eighth day of June, 1999.

/s/ Benjamin J. Cayetano.

Community members in attendance:

    Hans Anderson, Da Kine Magazine
    Lance Bateman, GLEA Foundation
    Carolyn Golojuch, PFLAG O`ahu
    Jim Haughton, Angles Waikiki
    David Jay, Licensed Therapist
    Cheryl Jenkins, Hawai`i Transgerder Outreach
    Jack Law, Pacific Bar Associates, Hawai`i Civil Rights Commission
    Fran Little Bear, Aloha MCC
    Barry Porter, Gay & Lesbian Community Center
    Reverend Barbara Reilly, Our Family Christian Church
    Henry Renteria, Dignity Honolulu
    Martin Rice, Lambda Aloha Kaua`i
    Tracey Ryan, Gay & Lesbian Community Center
    Reverand Billy Staton, Our Family Christian Church
    Gwen Taketa, Out in Paradise TV Productions
    Andrew Thomas, Honolulu Men's and Women's Choruses
    Bill Woods, GLEA Foundation