Subject: Urgent, Needed, ASAP _Decision making on Hate Crimes and Public
From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 3 Apr 1999 21:39:53 EST

Please redistribute to supporters of these measures - ASAP  
Urgenr!!

Aloha Folks,
		From the Hate Crimes Task Force and Newly formed Public 	
					Accommodations Task Force
Most important date and time so far for the Hate Crimes SB605 and Public 
Accommodations SB1151 Bills is Tuesday.  This is the information for 
decision-making on the Hate Crimes Bill (SB 605) and the Public
Accommodations Bill (SB 1151) in the House Judiciary Committee

Tuesday, April 6, 1999 at

2pm in Room 325 at the State Capitol.

This is a time that actual attendance is important.  We need to show there is 
a real need for these two pieces of legislation.  The opposition was able to 
gut both bills so it is obvious that those most impacted (protected by the 
legislation) need to be present.

Things the bills' success need from you:

1.  Your personal attendance at the Committee Meeting - there will not be 
testimony but our presence will speak of our need.  Be there early - there 
may be media conference just before meeting.

2.  Recommend you contact your organization(s) leaders and members and ask 
them to please attend this committee meeting.

3.  Follow the list of committee members and House leadership below and 
recontact them in all the ways possible (suggestion listed below) before 
Tuesday 2 PM.  This is lobbying and showing the Representatives that Hawaii 
needs these two pieces of legsilation.  Refer to request and support for SB 
605 SD 1 language and SB1151 SD1 language. A "Show of Force" is extremely 
important at this meeting.  

4, If you have a phone directory of personal and professional contacts, 
please call them, email them, fax them and give them this information and ask 
them to act and to pass it on even further.

THIS IS OUR OPPORTUNIT TO MAKE A DIFFERENCE   !!!!

  What to do and why it is important right now - today.

The next deadline for a successful passage of our bills is the crossover 
deadline April 9 - This Friday.  Tod meet this date - the Judicary Committee 
meeting on Tuesday must pass both bills out of committee with our language 
(senate drat 1 language) in them.

This is the time to do directed lobbying.  Please encourage your 
organization/leaders and others to contact the House Judiciary Committee 
members - especially chair and vice-chair and House leadership - all are 
provided below.

Please email  - snail mail - Fax - call - offer to meet with legislator/aide 
- ask what they need to pass the bills out.  Please communicate your 
responses to the task force via me at this email address or my phone at 
537-2000.  Some supporters question if Rep. Yoshinga should be contacted at 
this phase since it was she as Chair of the House Labor Committee that gutted 
both bills.  Use your best judgement on this.  I would be interested in 
knowing what you decide on Yoshinaga, so please share your thinking either 
way.

Please add in Governor Cayetano and Lt. Governor Mazie Hirono.   SB1151 - 
Puboic Accommodations is a bill coming from the administration, so they 
should be sought for special effort to get it passed now that it has come 
under fundie attack.  Their numbers are provided.  They should also be 
concerned about the hate crimes bill, so I suggest you also ask them for 
their support and efforts to pass it as well.

Your ideas are more than welcome now - please put on thinking caps - this is 
an opportunity to make difference in discrimination in public accommodations 
and to create more solutions to deal with hate crimes.

do good

Bill

Contact Information:  All addresses are c/o Hawaii State Capitol, Honolulu, 
Hawaii  96813

Governor Ben Cayetano  586-0034
				FAX  586-0006
				email:  [email-masked]

Lt. Governor Mazie Hirono  586-0255
				FAX 586-0231
				email:  [email-masked]

Paul Oshiro, Chair          586-638-6360
			    FAX:  586-6361
				email:  [email-masked]

Eric Hamakawa, Vice-Chair   586-8480
				FAX:  586-8484
				email:  [email-masked]

Romy Cachola                586-6110
				FAX:  586-6111
				email:  [email-masked]

Jerry Chang                 586-6120
				FAX:  586-6121
				email:  [email-masked]

Nestor Garcia               586-8490
				FAX:  586-8494
				email:  [email-masked]

Kenneth Hiraki              586-6180
				FAX:  586-6181
				email:  [email-masked]

Sol Kaho`ohalahala          586-6790
				FAX:  586-6779
				email:  [email-masked]

Marilyn Lee                 586-9460
				FAX:  586-9466
				email:  [email-masked]

Mina Morita                 586-8435
				FAX:  586-8437
				[email-masked]

Roy Takumi                  586-6170
				FAX:  586-6171
				email:  [email-masked]

Terry Nui Yoshinaga         586-8450
				FAX:  586-8454
				email:  [email-masked]

Emily Auwae (R)             586-8460
				FAX:  586-8464
				email:  [email-masked]

David Pendleton (R)         586-9490
				FAX:  586-9496
				email:  [email-masked]

Cynthia Thielen (R)         586-6480
				FAX:  586-6481
				email:  [email-masked]

Paul Whalen (R)             586-9385
				FAX:  586-9391
				email:  [email-masked]

House Leadership:

Speaker of House - Rep. Calvin Say  586-6100
					FAX:  5866101
					email:  [email-masked]

Vice-Speaker  Rep. Marcus Oshiro   586-8505
					FAX:  586-8509
					email:  [email-masked]

Majority Leader  Rep. Ed Case   586-8475
					FAX:  586-8479
					email:  [email-masked]

Majority Floor Leader  Rep. Nobu Yonamine  586-6520
					FAX  586-6521
					email:  [email-masked]

Majority Whips
	
	Rep. Nestor Garcia (see above - House Judiciary Committee Member)

	Rep.  Alexander Santiago  586-6380
					FAX:  586-6381
					email:  [email-masked]