From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 5 Jan 1995 12:24:31 -0500

GAY AND LESBIAN PRESENCE IN THE ANNUAL KING MARCH

	Gay and Lesbian organizations will once again join other civil rights and
community organizations in a celebration of the struggle for human rights as
they march in the memory of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. on Monday January 16,
1995. Gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender organizations will be among the
important civic, civil rights and community organizations in the National
March of Celebration on what would have been Dr. King's 66th birthday.

	The March marks the  10th anniversary of the National Holiday honoring Dr.
King, but the march itself has been an annual event since 1969, the year
after Dr. King was assassinated. The theme of this year's march is
"Non-violence in Action: Empowering Future Generation to serve."

	Honorary Grand Marshall from the Lesbian/Gay Community is Phill Wilson,
Director of Public Policy AIDS Project Los Angeles. Phill is a 38 year-old
Gay African American with AIDS has been living with HlV disease for the past
14 years. Phill is currently the Director of Public Policy at AIDS Project
Los Angeles. APLA's Public Policy Department interacts with national, state
and local governments and drafts legislation to increase public funding for
AIDS-related research, education and support services. and to affect public
policy in the interests of those with AIDS and HIV disease. 

	Phill will join other honorary march marshals Coretta Scott King, NOW Nationa
l President Patricia Ireland, Congressperson Cynthia McKinney, Meryl Evers
(widow of slain Civil Right s  leader Medgar Evers), Dr. Joseph Lowery of the
Southern Christian Leadership Conference (SCLC), actors Edward James Olmas
and Kris Kristofferson, singer Michael Bolton, and others.

	A new assembly area marks to move of the gay, lesbian, bisexual and
transgender organizations from the end of the march to the section reserved
for community and civic organizations. Last year's large gay and lesbian turn
out despite freezing rain and ice prompted the March Committee to make the
new arrangements. A quote from one of last year's gay march organizers is
still true today, "This is a civil rights march not a parade, we HAVE to be
here."

	Members of the gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender communities are asked
to meet at 12:30 p.m. on Ellis Street on the east side of Peachtree Street.
The National March of Celebration will step off at 1:00 p.m. sharp from the
intersection of Peachtree and Baker Streets, making its way through downtown
Atlanta to a rally at the Martin Luther King Center for Nonviolent Social
Change on Auburn Avenue.

	Related events of interest to the lesbian and gay community include: Receptio
n for Atlanta People of Color Organizations on Friday, January 13, 1995 -
8:00 pm and a reception by Atlanta Lesbian and Gay Pride Committee for
Honorary Chair Phill Wilson on Saturday, January 14 (Call the Pride Committee
at (404)662-4533).
	
	For more information about the March and activities, call the King Center
March Committee at 526-8911.