Subject: Author/Activist Keith Boyin Coming to South Florida
From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2000 16:32:18 EST

EQUALITY FLORIDA
UPDATE
2/11/00

Please Distribute

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Through February 26, 2000

Author and Activist Keith Boykin Coming to South Florida

Author of "One More River To Cross: Black and Gay in America"
Joins line-up for Florida's first Black Pride Celebration

Reception and Book-signing scheduled in South Beach

(FLORIDA) Author/Activist Keith Boykin, one of the leading black gay voices in
the country, will be on hand in South Florida for Florida's first
Black Pride Celebration.

Organizers of the event expect attendees from across the state and
the nation as Florida joins the growing ranks of states with Black
Pride Celebrations

The Workshops, Faith-based events, Awards Ceremony and "Family
Reunion" Picnic will take place in Fort Lauderdale, February 25-27,
2000.

In Miami Beach, a special "Meet the Author" appearance and
Book-signing is scheduled for Saturday, February 26th, 6:00-7:00 PM,
at Books and Books on Lincoln Road Mall.
Immediately following, Mr. Boykin will be the Guest of Honor at a
special RSVP-only reception hosted by Mr. Howard Whitfield.

In 1993, Boykin was appointed special assistant to President Clinton,
becoming the highest-ranking openly gay person in the White House. 
He drafted Clinton's supportive statement on the 1993 gay and lesbian
March on Washington and the President's letter opposing anti-gay
state ballot initiatives.  He helped organize and took part in the
historic meeting between President Clinton and gay and lesbian
leaders in 1993, as well as ensuring a black gay presence at the
Million Man March three years ago.

Boykin left the White House in 1995 to lead the National Black
Lesbian and Gay Leadership Forum, an advocacy group.

A graduate of Harvard Law School, Mr. Boykin was the editor of the
Harvard Civil Rights-Civil Liberties Law Review and spokesperson for
the Harvard Coalition for Civil Rights.  He came out in 1991 while at
Harvard and found immediate support from family and friends.

Many gays and lesbians, black and white, don't find that kind of
support and understanding, which became the impetus for Boykin's
first book, "One More River to Cross: Black and Gay in America"
published in 1996.

His second book, "Respecting the Soul: Daily Reflections for Black
Lesbians and Gays", is now available in bookstores.

Responsible for Mr. Boykin's participation in Florida Black Pride
are, Equality Florida, Fellowship Tabernacle (I.F.O.I.C.), Rainbow
Girlz and the Black Lesbian Support Group.

For additional information about Author Keith Boykin contact:
    Keith Boykin -(202) 332-5662
Nadine Smith, Executive Director, Equality Florida, 813-417-1456.
or, [email-masked].

For general information on Florida Black Pride contact:
Bishop S.F. Irons-Mahee, 305-388-4748

Our Mission:
"Equality Florida is a state-wide organization that works to achieve
social, political, and economic justice and that is dedicated to
ending oppression based on sexual orientation, race, class and
gender."

**********************************************************************
Are You A Member Yet?
Join Equality Florida Today. 
Call 813-253-5962 
or email your contact information to [email-masked] and
we will send you membership information.
Thanks for caring enough to get involved. 
Together we can make a difference.
www.eqfl.org
**********************************************************************
Our Mission:

 "Equality Florida is a state-wide organization that works to achieve
social, political and economic justice and that is dedicated to ending
oppression based on sexual orientation, race, class and gender."

**********************************************************************