From: Gary Steinsmith, Pres., Dolphin Democratic Club ([email-masked])
To: Florida Freedom to Marry E-mail List
Date: May 1, 1997

Late yesterday night (Wednesday, April 30th), Dolphin board member Dean
Trantalis, Esq., filed with me the following report:

     A delegation consisting of Dean Trantalis, Esq., board member of the
Dolphin Democratic Club, Carole Benowitz, PFLAG Gulf Region Director, and
Rabbi Stanley Garfein of the Reform Jewish Movement met with Gov. Lawton
Chiles today [April 30th] along with four of his advisors in order to discuss
their opposition and desire to veto legislation passed just yesterday [April
29th] denying recognition of same-gender marriages and domestic partnerships
in any form and any jurisdiction.  This legislation was brought about in
anticipation of the state of Hawaii enacting the right to same-gender
marriages or partnerships.

     The Governor and his aides met with the delegation for just under a
half-hour, where the issues of discrimination, economics, and
constitutionality were discussed.  Ms. Benowitz alerted the governor as to
the high incidences of suicide and drop-outs amongst gay and lesbian youth
and how such mean-spirited legislation only denigrates children while it
empowers those who may commit hate crimes.  "We must stand up for our
children, and as parents we cannot accept laws which hurt them," Benowitz
told the Governor.

     Trantalis explained to the Governor that the arguments in support of the
bill haven't factual or legal basis to them.  "The economy will be enhanced
by allowing out-of-state couples to feel protected once they cross our
borders, to visit and live like all other human beings whose rights are
protected by our laws."  Calling them "ghost arguments," Trantalis emphasized
that no factual basis exists which would indicate that our economy would be
adversely affected.

     "We should study this," the Governor said.  The group agreed, but added
that we shouldn't be enacting laws before they become justified.

     "The fact is, Governor, this law is just mean-spirited, and it doesn't
belong in Florida," Benowitz stated.  The Governor was informed how the law
would even affect domestic partnerships policies in private corporations,
like Disney and Viacom.  This seemed to pique the interest of the Governor's
staff, who, along with the Governor, remained mostly silent during the
meeting, taking notes and appearing more interested in learning about the
bill which up to now they seemed unfamiliar with its content.

     In the end, the Governor was given letters in support of a veto from the
Florida State Conference of NAACP Branches , the National Council of Jewish
Women, the Jewish Community Relations Council of the Jewish Federation of
Broward County, the Reform Jewish Movement, the resolution passed by both the
Monroe and Broward Democratic Executive Committee, as well as other material
directed to inform the Governor and his staff on the subject.  The Governor
has 15-days from the date of passage in which to veto the bill, otherwise it
will become law automatically.

     It is now critical that all good people immediately contact Gov. Chiles
in Tallahassee and urge his veto of this blatantly discriminatory and
unconstitutional bill.  Phone him at: (904) 488-7146 or (904) 488-4441.  Fax
him at: (904) 487-0801.  E-mail him via the Governor's Web Site at:
http://www.eog.state.fl.us

--  end  --