Subject: OUT IN NEW ENGLAND OUTS CONGRESSMAN MARK FOLEY (R FLA)
From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 5 Aug 1996 13:18:52 -0400

OUT IN NEW ENGLAND
57 Parker Rd.
Shrewsbury, MA 01545

OUT IN NEW ENGLAND REPORTS THAT
CONSERVATIVE CONGRESSMAN MARK FOLEY
(R Florida) IS GAY 
For Immediate Release

Monday, August 05, 1996
Contact:  Kurt Wolfe Executive Producer (508)791-4199, E-Mail
[email-masked]

                                                                       Robert
Cousins, Producer voice mail: (508)327-6631
Scott Sherman, General Manager  voice mail: (508)327-6632

August 3, 1996
MASSACHUSETTS:

OUT IN NEW ENGLAND has for some time been engaged in a thorough and an
ongoing investigation of numerous Congresspersons and Senators who voted for
the Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA).  As part of that ongoing investigation,
OUT IN NEW ENGLAND is announcing in a  SPECIAL REPORT to air this week,  that
Republican Congressman Mark Foley of Florida is gay.  This has been
substantiated at great length by three independent sources  who have been
highly reliable in the past on several issues.  Indeed, two of these sources
were used to disclose the status of Kolbe/McCreary.  Kolbe recently
acknowledged the accuracy of the report by coming out.  At 12:00 noon EDT,
Congressman Foley’s office returned our call.  Mr. Foley’s press secretary
said that they would neither confirm nor deny that the congressman was gay.
 He further said that the congressman’s personal life had no bearing on his
job.  

According to the Human Rights Campaign:
Mr. Foley’s office does have written policy of non-discrimination in
employment with regards to gay men and lesbians. 

He voted to retain the D.C. Domestic Partnership Act.  The domestic partners
policy would allow for hospital visitation rights and health benefits for
partners of D.C. employees who live in the same residence for at least 6
months.  

Mr. Foley has not  sponsored the Employment Non-Discrimination Act, a bill
which would prohibit discrimination against gay men and lesbians in the
workplace.  

He  voted against the Hobson Amendment to Treasury/Postal Appropriations, and
against maintaining the integrity of HIV/AIDS training for federal employees.

Mr. Foley further did not vote on the House Appropriations Committee vote to
restore $36 million for people living with HIV/AIDS.  

He voted for the Defense of Marriage Act DOMA. 

OUT IN NEW ENGLAND recently disclosed, and broke the story that Republican
congressmen Jim McCreary, Louisiana, and Jim Kolbe, Arizona were gay.
 Congressman McCreary was cited by the Human Rights Campaign with an
overwhelmingly poor gay rights AIDS/HIV voting record, Kolbe had a somewhat
 better record, although he recently voted to strip funding for HIV/AIDS
education and prevention to Native Americans in order to use those funds to
purchase a third telescope for an Arizona University.  McCreary and Kolbe
both voted for DOMA.

OUT IN NEW ENGLAND is continuing this investigation into other
Congresspersons, and Senators.  

OUT IN NEW ENGLAND is the only weekly television news and information
program, reporting on, and for the lesbian, gay, bisexual, AIDS/HIV
communities of New England.